Huskers Split Sunday Double-Header
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska men’s tennis team (8-6, 0-0 Big Ten) split their matches on Sunday, sweeping North Dakota (2-7, 1-3 Big Sky) by a score of 7-0 and slipping 4-0 to Drake (9-4, 0-0 MVC) at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
The Huskers match against North Dakota was impressive all around with Nebraska not dropping a set en route to the clean sweep 7-0. Notable matches were the No. 2 singles where Nebraska’s Marc Herrmann dominated North Dakota’s Connor Oberle 6-0, 6-0 and the No. 3 doubles that saw NU’s Court Clark and Chris Schindler play their first bit of tennis this spring, resulting in a victory over UND’s Jared Vigen and Dustin Britton 8-3.
The match against Drake was challenging and the Huskers couldn’t manage a point in their 4-0 loss to the Bulldogs. The only win for the Huskers came at No. 3 doubles where Dusty Boyer and Scott Elsass defeated DU’s Matt Frost and Ravi Patel 8-6.
“In doubles we had a huge opportunity to win the point but couldn't capitalize,” Nebraska Coach Kerry McDermott said in regards to the match against Drake. “I feel that the momentum changed at that point and gave Drake a little boost that carried over into the singles. We competed hard and I give my guys credit for their effort but we need to learn how to start winning close matches and not backing down.”
The Huskers have two weeks until their next match in which they play their first Big Ten opponent when they host Wisconsin on Friday, March 21 at 4 p.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 44 Nebraska - 7
North Dakota - 0
1. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. Josh Oothoudt/Grant Bakke (UND) 8-3
2. Dusty Boyer/Scott Elsass (NU) def. Ryan McGuigan/Connor Oberle (UND) 8-7 (4)
3. Court Clark/Chris Schindler (NU) def. Jared Vigen/Dustin Britton (UND) 8-3
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Josh Oothoudt (UND) 6-1, 6-4
2. Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Connor Oberle (UND) 6-0, 6-0
3. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Ryan McGuigan (UND) 6-4, 6-2
4. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) def. Dustin Britton (UND) 6-2, 6-1
5. Beau Treyz (NU) def. Grant Bakke (UND) 6-1, 6-0
6. Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. Jared Vigen (UND) 6-1, 6-0
No. 44 Nebraska - 0
No. 45 Drake - 4
1. Robin Goodman/Ben Lott (DU) def. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 8-5
2. Alen Salibasic/Ben Mullis (DU) def. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) 8-7(4)
3. Dusty Boyer/Scott Elsass (NU) def. Matt Frost/Ravi Patel (DU) 8-6
2. Ben Lott (DU) def. Tom Blackwell (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (8)
3. Robin Goodman (DU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ben Mullis (DU) def. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) 6-3, 6-4