Huskers Fall To Badgers 4-3 In Road Match
Madison, Wis. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-7, 0-2 Big Ten) fell 3-4 to the Wisconsin Badgers (6-4, 1-1 Big Ten) on Friday in their first road match of the season. The Huskers dropped the doubles point and fought hard to grab three points in singles but slipped in the end to remain without a conference victory.
Starting in doubles, Wisconsin grabbed a victory at the No. 1 when Lauren Chypyha and Anastasia Tripolskaya ousted Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna 8-6 followed by a win for UW's Nova Patel and Lauren Burich over NU's Lisa Andersson and Hannah Sulz 8-1 at the No. 3 spot. The Huskers earned a victory at the No. 2 when Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska outpaced the Badgers' Becca Bailey and Sydney Rider 8-5.
Moving into singles with the lead, the Badgers grabbed three of the matches to win the match. At the No. 1, UW's Chypyha toppled NU's Lehmicke 6-1, 6-2 while fellow Badger Burich outlasted the Huskers' Zgierska 6-4, 0-6, 6-4 at the No. 2. At the No. 3, Wisconsin's Tripolskaya defeated Nebraska's Andersson 6-1, 7-5.
The Huskers were able to earn three points in the singles matches. At the No. 4, Nebraska's Hanna defeated Wisconsin's Rider 7-5, 6-2 while fellow Husker Zeppernick won by default against the Badgers' Nova Patel when she retired in the second set. The third point for the Huskers was grabbed at the No. 6 by Sulz over UW's Bailey 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Next up for the Huskers is a home match this Sunday, March 23 against Minnesota at the Lincoln Racket Club in Nebraska at 10 a.m.
Nebraska - 3
Wisconsin - 4
1. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Lauren Burich (WIS) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
3. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) def. Lisa Andersson (NU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Mary Hanna (NU) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) 7-5, 6-2
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def, Nova Patel (WIS) 6-7 (7-9), 4-3, retired
6. Hannah Sulz (NU) def. Becca Bailry (WIS) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Lauren Chypyha / Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) 8-6
2. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Becca Bailey / Sydney Rider (WIS) 8-5
3. Nova Patel / Lauren Burich (WIS) def. Lisa Andersson/Hannah Sulz (NU) 8-1