Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-16, 0-11 Big Ten) ended the regular season with a 4-0 loss on Senior Day to No. 34 Ohio State (18-7, 8-3 Big Ten) on Easter Sunday at the NU Vine Street Courts. The Huskers narrowly gave away the doubles point before falling in three quick singles to lose the match.
In doubles, Ohio State's No. 82 Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz rolled past Nebraska's Hannah Sulz and Lisa Andersson 8-1 at the No. 3 court while fellow Buckeyes Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus narrowly defeated the Huskers' Izabella Zgierska and Maike Zeppernick 8-7 (7-2) at the No. 2 spot. The No. 1 doubles went unfinished once the point was decided.
In singles, Ohio State's Angeles Paz ousted Nebraska's Zeppernick 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 4 position while fellow Buckeye Kowase toppled the Huskers' Zgierska 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot. The match was decided at the No. 3 court where OSU's Niehaus outlasted NU's Mary Hanna 7-5, 6-2. The matches at the No. 1, 5, and 6 courts went unfinished and the match was called.
Next up for the Huskers is the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday-Sunday, April 24-27 in Evanston, Ill. as Northwestern hosts the event. The Huskers are set to face Illinois on Thursday, April 24 at 10 a.m. at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
Nebraska - 0
No. 34 Ohio State - 4
1. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) vs. No. 92 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) DNF
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Mary Hanna (NU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Lisa Andersson (NU) vs. Noelly Malley (OSU) DNF
6. Hannah Sulz (NU) vs. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) DNF
Order of finish (4, 2, 3)
1. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) vs. No. 78 Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) DNF
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. No. 82 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Hannah Sulz/Lisa Andersson (NU) 8-1
Order of finish (3, 2)