Top-Ranked Trojans Defeat Huskers, 4-0
The Nebraska beach volleyball team fell 4-0 to No. 1 USC on Thursday at Queen's Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii. It was the first of eight matches for the Huskers (1-1) on the island.
The defending national champion and unbeaten Trojans (5-0) secured straight-set wins in four singles matches. The No. 3 match between Terese Cannon/Nicolette Martin and Kelly Hunter/Lauren Stivrins didn't finish, but the USC pair led 1-0 after a 22-20 set-one win. Hunter and Stivrins were leading the second set 8-7 when the match ended.
Andie Malloy and Justine Wong-Orantes were edged by arguably the top pair in the nation in Kelly Claes and Sarah Hughes, 21-13, 21-16. Annika Albrecht and Olivia Boender put up a tough fight in a 21-18 set-one loss to Sophie Bukovec and Allie Wheeler in the No. 2 spot. Mikaela Foecke and Kenzie Maloney were also highly competitive at the No. 4 spot, dropping a 14-21, 22-24 match to Abril Bustamante and Joy Dennis. '
The Huskers take part in a tournament hosted by Chaminade later Thursday night.
No. 1 USC 4, Nebraska 0
1. Kelly Claes/Sara Hughes def. Andie Malloy/Justine Wong-Orantes (NEB): 21-13, 21-16
2. Sophie Bukovec/Allie Wheeler def. Annika Albrecht/Olivia Boender (NEB): 21-18, 21-7
3. Terese Cannon/Nicolette Martin led Kelly Hunter/Lauren Stivrins (NEB): 22-20, 7-8
4. Abril Bustamante/Joy Dennis def. Mikaela Foecke/Kenzie Maloney (NEB): 21-14, 24-22
5. Jenna Belton/Jo Kremer def. Brooke Smith/Sydney Townsend (NEB): 21-13, 21-10
Exh. Cammie Dorn/Katrina Kernochan def. Tiani Reeves/Wong-Orantes (NEB): 21-14, 21-17