Nebraska Whips Wyoming, 4-0
Lincoln, Neb. – The Nebraska women’s tennis team defeated the Wyoming Cowgirls 4-0 at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center on Friday evening, bringing its official season record to 6-2.
The match began with doubles competition, where the Huskers steadily subdued the Cowgirls on all three courts.
Junior Paula Del Cueto Castillo and senior Brianna Lashway collected the second win of the evening and the doubles point for the Huskers with their 6-3 triumph over Cowgirls Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg.
Despite neck-and-neck matches on a couple of the courts during singles play, the Huskers handily accumulated the three wins they needed to secure the evening’s victory.
Bringing a burst of energy for the Huskers with her early singles win was sophomore Jeannie Lozowski, who led a polished defeat of Scott, 6-0, 6-0.
Del Cueto Castillo collected the next singles win for Nebraska against Tkachenko, 6-1, 6-2, and Reifeis rounded up the match with her 6-3, 6-0 domination of Genkova.
Nebraska competes again on Sunday, Feb. 18, at 11 a.m. against the Wichita State Shockers.
Stay up to date with Nebraska women’s tennis by following the team on Twitter at @HuskersWTennis, or by visiting Huskers.com for recaps and results following the matches.
1. Brianna Lashway (NEB) vs. Magdalena Stencel (WYO) 5-7, 1-1, unfinished
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) vs. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WYO) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
3. Paula Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) def. Ana Tkachenko (WYO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Milka Genkova (WYO) 6-3, 6-0
5. Katerina Matysova (NEB) vs. Elisa Koonik (WYO) 6-3, 1-3, unfinished
6. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) def. Myiah Scott (WYO) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,3,4)