Huskers Ground Shockers, 4-3
Lincoln, Neb. – The Nebraska women’s tennis team battled through its most tough match of the season, rising to a 4-3 victory over Wichita State on Saturday. This win brought the Huskers to 7-2 on the season.
Doubles tennis action kicked off the morning for the Big Red, where it was a team effort to put away the doubles point for Nebraska.
First to finish was court 2, where Giulia Guidetti and Ting-Ya Hsu of the Shockers pinned the Huskers’ Claire Reifeis and Hayley Haakenstad to a 6-2 decision.
Coming in to tie it for Nebraska doubles duo Brianna Lashway and Paula Del Cueto Castillo. Playing out of the No.1 position, Lashway and Del Cueto Castillo quickly quieted Gabriela Porubin and Fatima Bizhukova 6-3.
Giving the Big Red the doubles team point was Vasanti Shinde and Katerina Matysova. Fresh off of a doubles win on Friday, the pair extended their career record at the No.3 position with a well-fought 6-4 win against Sandra Honigova and Marta Bellucco.
After a five-minute break after the completion of doubles, competition started again for Nebraska. The Huskers needed just three points to clinch the match and take the victory.
Quick to set the tone for the Big Red and the only Husker to defeat her opponent in just two sets, junior Shinde took command of No.2 singles. Shinde was first to finish, with a 6-4, 6-1 defeat of No. 104 nationally ranked Honigova.
Next to finish with a win for Nebraska was Reifeis at the No.4 position. The sophomore from Indianapolis, Ind. dropped the first set against Wichita State’s Porubin 6-3, before claiming a 6-3, 6-4 comeback in sets two and three to win the match. Reifeis’ win put the Huskers up 3-2 against the Shockers.
The Huskers pushed to three sets on all remaining courts, dropping close matches on courts three, one and six.
Continuing top tennis action by claiming her second win on the day was No.5 singles veteran Matysova. The senior fell in the first set against Bellucco 6-3, but countered with steadfast determination to secure two winning 7-5, 6-3 sets and clinch the match for Nebraska.
The Big Red is back in action next weakened for a road match against Kansas State. The match is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. in Manhattan, Kan.
Stay up to date with Nebraska women’s tennis by following the team on Twitter at @HuskersWTennis, or by visiting Huskers.com for recaps and results following the matches.
- #73 Fatima Bizhukova (WST) def. Brianna Lashway (NEB) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
- Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. #104 Sandra Honigova (WST) 6-4, 6-1
- Giulia Guidetti (WST) def. Paula Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) 6-3, 7-6
- Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Gabriela Porubin (WST) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Marta Bellucco (WST) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Sarvi Saidhujaeva (WST) def. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Paula Del Cueto Castillo/Brianna Lashway (NEB) def. Gabriela Porubin/Fatima Bizhukova (WST) 6-3
- Giulia Guidetti/Ting-Ya Hsu (WST) def. Claire Reifeis/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) 6-2
- Katerina Matysova/Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Sandra Honigova/Marta Bellucco (WST) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,4,6,1,5)