Huskers Top Missouri State, 4-1
LINCOLN - The Nebraska beach volleyball team earned a 4-1 win over Missouri State on Friday afternoon inside the Hawks Championship Center.
The Huskers improved to 2-4 overall this season, while the Bears dropped their first-ever beach volleyball match.
The day started with NU's No. 5 pair, Allie Havers and Jasmine Schmidt, sweeping Ivy Reynolds and Lynsey Wright, 21-12, 21-11. The Bears responded with a win at No. 4, as Sam Brinkmann and Mikaela Mosquera came back to beat Hayley Densberger and Chesney McClellan, 17-21, 21-17, 17-15.
In the No. 3 slot, Sami Slaughter and Jazz Sweet dropped their first set to Maddie Back and Sarah Demmer, 22-24, but rebounded for a 26-24 win in set two and a 15-11 win in the third set. Annika Albrecht and Kenzie Maloney clinched the match for the Huskers with a 21-18, 22-20 win against Aubrey Cheffey and Julia Hanson. In the No. 1 match, Kelly Hunter and Lauren Stivrins rallied from a 17-21 first-set defeat to win set two, 21-13, and set three, 15-8, over Taylor Fricano and Veronica Snelling.
The Huskers will host Missouri Baptist next Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Hawks Championship Center.
Nebraska 4, Missouri State 1
1. Kelly Hunter/Lauren Stivrins (NEB) def. Taylor Fricano/Veronica Snelling: 17-21, 21-13, 15-8
2. Annika Albrecht/Kenzie Maloney (NEB) def. Aubrey Cheffey/Julia Hanson: 21-18, 22-20
3. Sami Slaughter/Jazz Sweet (NEB) def. Maddie Back/Sarah Demmer: 22-24, 26-24, 15-11
4. Sam Brinkmann/Mikaela Mosquera (MSU) def. Hayley Densberger/Chesney McClellan: 17-21, 21-17, 17-15
5. Allie Havers/Jasmine Schmidt (NEB) def. Ivy Reynolds/Lynsey Wright: 21-12, 21-11