No. 29 Huskers Crush Kangaroos, 4-0
Lincoln, Neb. – The No. 29 Nebraska women’s tennis team boosted its winning streak to ten matches Friday evening as it took down the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos, 4-0.
The match initiated at 5 p.m. at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center, when the teams set forth on doubles competition.
The Huskers began their domination early, starting off with two swift 6-1 doubles wins to collect the doubles point for Nebraska.
Singles competition commenced at 5:30 p.m. and lasted only one hour, as the Big Red briskly broke into leads across all of the courts.
The first singles triumph went to sophomore Jeannie Lozowski, who led a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Ball from the No. 5 spot.
Matysova collected Nebraska’s third point of the match as she handily took down Vale, 6-0, 6-1.
Finishing off the Huskers’ vanquish was Shinde, who defeated Kangaroo Melinda Johnson, 6-1, 6-0.
The win brings the Huskers to a 10-2 record as they head into Sunday morning’s match against Illinois State. Play against the Redbirds will start at 11 a.m., and admission to the Dillon Tennis Center is free. Sunday’s matchup will be Nebraska’s final non-conference match before taking on No. 11 Ohio State next Wednesday, March 7.
Stay up to date with Nebraska women’s tennis by following the team on Twitter at @HuskersWTennis, or by visiting Huskers.com for recaps and results following the matches.
1. Brianna Lashway (NEB) vs. Aliona Ladutska (UMKC) 6-5, unfinished
2. Claire Reifeis (NEB) vs. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-0, 4-4, unfinished
3. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Melinda Johnson (UMKC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-1, 6-0
6. M’Balia Bangoura (NEB) vs. Ioanna Lathouri (UMKC) 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,4,3)