Huskers Lose to Lobos, 4-3
Wichita, Kan. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team ended a weekend of matches 0-2 after falling to Wichita State 4-1 and New Mexico 4-3. The Huskers fall to 9-3 on the season.
In doubles play, Micah Klousia and William Grattan-Smith were defeated 6-0 by Ricky Hernandez-Tong and Dominic West 6-0 in the No. 2 position. In the No. 3 position Dylan Bednarczyk and Chris Dean bested Sean Baklini and Tim Buttner 6-4. Toby Boyer and Linus Erhart fought hard but ultimately ended up falling to Bart Van Leijsen and Jorge Escutia in the No. 1 position in a tiebreak 7-6 with the doubles point being awarded to New Mexico.
In singles play, Boyer in the No. 1 position remains perfect on the season with a 7-6, 7-6 win over Hernandez-Tong. Erhart also continues his undefeated streak, defeating Van Leijsen 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 2 position. Bednarczyk fell to West in the No. 3 spot 7-5, 6-4. Klousia was defeated by Escutia 6-7, 6-2, 6-0. Dean, in the No.6 position, defeated Buttner 7-5, 6-2 tying the match 3-3. Grattan-Smith forced a third set after being down 1-0 but ultimately came up short and loss 6-4, 3-6, 2-6 sealing the win for New Mexico.
"The team did a great job of not letting the doubles point affect us and played a very competitive match," Head Coach Kerry McDermott said. "We feel that the rest of the year will be much like today, so we must continue to preserve and stay focused as there are going to be plenty of more matches like this."
The Huskers return to action Saturday, March 17 with a Big Ten home opener match against Wisconsin at 10 a.m. at the Dillon Tennis Center.
1. Van Leijsen/ Escutia (UNM) def. Boyer/ Erhart (NEB) 7-6
2. Hernandez-Tong/ West (UNM) def. Grattan-Smith/ Klousia (NEB) 6-0
3. Bednarczyk/ Dean (NEB) def. Baklini/Buttner (NEB) 6-4
1. Toby Boyer (NEB) def. Ricky Hernandez-Tong (UNM) 7-6, 7-6
2. Linus Erhart (NEB) def. Bart Van Leijsen (UNM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Dominic West (UNM) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 7-5, 6-4
4. Jorge Escutia (UNM) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-7, 6-2, 6-0
5. Holis (UNM) def. William Grattan-Smith (NEB) 6-4, 3-6, 2-6
6. Chris Dean (NEB) def. Tim Buttner (UNM) 7-5, 6-2