Huskers Fall to Hawkeyes, 6-1
Iowa City, Iowa -- The Nebraska men's tennis team hit the road for their first Big Ten road match against No. 40 Iowa where they suffered a 6-1 loss to the Hawkeyes. The Huskers are now 9-5 on the season and 0-2 in Big Ten play.
In doubles play, in the No. 2 position, William Grattan-Smith and Micah Klousia fell to Will Davies and Piotr Smietana 6-1. In the No. 3 position, Chris Dean and Dylan Bednarczyk were defeated by Joe Tyler and Jake Jacoby 6-1 sealing the doubles point for the Hawkeyes. Toby Boyer and Linus Erhart in the No. 1 position went unfinished.
In singles, Bednarczyk was down 3-1 in the first set but ultimately retired the match due to an injury in the No. 3 position. Klousia was bested by Tyler 6-3, 6-1. In the No. 5 position, Grattan-Smith fell to Jonas Larsen 6-3, 6-2. Dean came up short in the No. 6 position to Davies 6-1, 6-4. Erhart in the No. 2 position was the lone winner, defeating Allaf 7-5, 6-4 and remains perfect in singles on the season. Boyer suffered his first loss of the season in singles falling to Josh Silverstein in the No. 1 position 4-6, 6-2, 10-8.
The Huskers will continue Big Ten play with a road trip to Minnesota on Sunday, March 25 before returning home to take on Northwestern on March 30 and Illinois on April 1 at the Dillon Tennis Center. Admission to all home matches is free.
- #54 Kareem Allaf/Jonas Larsen (IOWA) vs. Linus Erhart/Toby Boyer (NEB) 5-5, unfinished
- #51 Will Davies/Piotr Smietana (IOWA) def. William GrattanSmith/Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-1
- Joe Tyler/Jake Jacoby (IOWA) def. Dylan Bednarczyk/Chris Dean (NEB) 6-1
Order of Finish: 2,3
- Josh Silverstein (IOWA) def. Toby Boyer (NEB) 4-6, 6-2, 10-8
- Linus Erhart (NEB) def. Kareem Allaf (IOWA) 7-5, 6-4
- Piotr Smietana (IOWA) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 3-1, retired
- Joe Tyler (IOWA) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-3, 6-1
- Jonas Larsen (IOWA) def. William GrattanSmith (NEB) 6-3, 6-2
- Will Davies (IOWA) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,4,5,6,2,1