Huskers Slam Spartans, 4-3
East Lansing, Mich. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team defeated Michigan State 4-3 for their first Big Ten win of the season. The 11-13 Huskers are now 1-9 in conference play.
In doubles play, Linus Erhart and Dylan Bednarczyk were defeated by Brett Forman and Billy Shisler 7-5 in the No. 1 position. Chris Dean and William Grattan-Smith evened up the score with a 7-5 win over Jasper Koenen and Josh Mukherjee. Toby Boyer and Micah Klousia ultimately fell to Michael Dube and John Carlin 6-4 to seal the doubles point for the Spartans.
In singles play, Erhart made quick work of his opponent, defeating Mukherjee 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 3 position. Boyer was quickly behind him finishing Forman 6-3, 6-2. Bednarczyk was the first to fall for the Huskers being defeated by Dube 6-2, 6-3 tying the score 2-2. The final three singles matches went into three sets with freshman Isaac Nortey, after dropping the first set, came back to defeat Carlin 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. Dean was bested by Davis Wong, falling 6-1, 4-6, 6-7. Klousia clinched the match for the huskers with a 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 win over Koenen earning the Huskers the tie-breaking point winning 4-3.
The Big Red will finish their 2018 campaign with one final match against No. 12 Michigan Sunday, April 22 with serve set for 11 a.m. (CT) before traveling to Iowa City, Iowa for the Big Ten Tournament beginning on April 26.
1. Forman/ Shisler (MSU) def. Erhart/ Bednarczyk (NEB) 7-5
2. Dean/ Grattan-Smith (NEB) def. Koenen/ Mukherjee (MSU) 7-5
3. Dube/ Carlin (MSU) def. Boyer/ Klousia (NEB) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Toby Boyer (NEB) def. Brett Forman (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Michael Dube (MSU) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 6-2, 6-3
3. Linus Erhart (NEB) def. Josh Mukherjee (MSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Micah Klousia (NEB) def. Jasper Koenin (MSU) 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
5. Davis Wong (MSU) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
6. Isaac Nortey (NEB) def. Josh Carlin (MSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2,6,5,4