Honors & Awards
- Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar Award (2019)
- Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll (Fall 2018)
- Tom Osborne Citizenship Team (2019)
- Seven-Time Junior Team Costa Rica Member (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Two-Time Costa Rica National Team Member (2015, 2018)
Alexa Fernández joins the Huskers as sophomore in 2018-19, looking to add depth to the team and compete for a top-five roster spot in Nebraska’s rotation.
Fernández attended the University of Alabama-Birmingham and was a member of the UAB bowling team. She was a member of the 2016-17 Conference USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll.
Prior to attending UAB, Fernández competed on the Costa Rica National Team. She was the Division II runner-up in 2014 and 2015 and also the Youth National Champion in 2014 and 2015. She earned silver at the 2017 U-21 Youth Pan American Games, finished with bronze at the 2015 U-21 Iberoamericano and also earned the silver medal at the 2012 U-16 Youth Central American and Caribbean Tournament.
The daughter of Mario Fernández and Karla Bravo, Alexa was born on February 18, 1998. She has two brothers, Adrián and Juan (Carlos). A graduate of 2016 from the Marian Baker School in San José, Costa Rica, Alexa plans to study geology and chemistry.