Huskers Bounce Back With Sweep of Rattlers, 4-0
Tallahassee, Fla. -- The Nebraska men’s tennis team (1-2, 0-0 Big Ten) earned its first win of the season against the Florida A&M Rattlers (0-3, 0-0 MEAC), 4-0, at the Florida State Spring Invitational on Sunday in Tallahassee.
Sophomore Isaac Nortey and freshman William Gleason defeated Rodney Sturgis/Robert Haydon, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot, while senior Jon Meyer and sophomore Alvaro Moreno Lozano won the No. 3 match by forfeit to give NU the doubles point.
In singles play, Gleason quickly knocked off Robert Haydon with a 6-2, 6-1 upset at No. 3.
Meyer then defeated Rodney Sturgis, 6-0, 6-3 at No. 4, while Alvaro Moreno won the No. 5 match by forfeit to close out the 4-0 Husker win.
NU concluded the invite in seventh place, as hosts Florida State won the tournament with a 4-0 victory over Florida Atlantic in the championship match on Sunday afternoon.
The Huskers will keep practicing for a couple of weeks before returning to action in a doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 26 in Dallas, Texas. NU will take on SMU at 1 p.m. CT and Northern Colorado at 5 p.m. CT.
Nebraska 4, Florida A&M 0
1. Toby Boyer (NU) vs. Illya Skonny (FAMU) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
2. Chris Dean (NU) vs. Luis Alejandra (FAMU) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
3. William Gleason (NU) def. Robert Haydon (FAMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jon Meyer (NU) def. Rodney Sturgis (FAMU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Alvaro Moreno Lozano (NU) def. No player (FAMU), by forfeit
6. No player (FAMU) vs. No player (NU) no result
*Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,3,4)