Huskers Complete Sweep of Roos and Coyotes
Lincoln, Neb. -- The Nebraska women’s tennis team went 2-0 today in a doubleheader at the Dillon Tennis Center, taking matches from UMKC and South Dakota.
The day began with a matchup between Nebraska and UMKC, where the Huskers picked up a quick 4-0 win. In the afternoon match, Nebraska recorded another 4-0 win, this time vs. South Dakota.
The Huskers had some new looks for doubles competition. At No. 2, Claire Reifeis and Jessica Aragon teamed up, claiming a quick 6-1 victory over Grace Ball and Thea Dassy, 6-1. Playing at No. 1 was Vasanti Shinde and Marina Cozac. After falling behind 2-4, the senior duo fought back to claim a 7-5 win, giving Nebraska the doubles point. The No. 3 match finished out with Hayley Haakenstad and Elizabeth Gould winning in a tiebreaker.
In singles play, Claire Reifeis and Jeannie Lozowski got out to hot starts at No. 1 and No. 5, respectively. Reifeis took the first set from Michela Xibilia, 6-0 and closed it out in the second, 6-1. At No. 5, Lozowski picked up her first singles win of the season, defeating Grace Ball, 6-2, 6-0.
With a 3-0 team lead, the Big Red needed just one more singles victory to pick up the match win. It would be Hayley Haakenstad at No. 6 to finish first. The junior defeated Thanushree Vale, 6-4, 6-1, giving Nebraska the 4-0 match win.
Nebraska would stick with the same doubles pairs in the afternoon match against South Dakota. Claire Reifeis and Jessica Aragon started and finished strong, picking up the 6-1 win. Vasanti Shinde and Marina Cozac wrapped things up, getting the 6-1 win over the Coyotes.
In singles, No. 6, Hayley Haakenstad took a quick 6-0, 6-1 win over Nanette Nylund, giving the Huskers the 2-0 advantage.
Claire Reifeis continued her dominating day at No. 1 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Jana Lazarevic. Following today’s doubleheader, the junior from Indianapolis, Ind., improved to 6-0 on the season.
Senior Vasanti Shinde closed out the 4-0 win for Nebraska with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Habiba Aly.
Nebraska travels to Lawrence, Kan., on Wednesday to take on the Jayhawks at the Jayhawk Tennis Center. The action begins at 4 p.m. CT. Fans can follow along with the action at kuathletics.com, where there will be live stats updated throughout the match.
Results vs. UMKC:
1. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) vs. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
3. Marina Cozac (NEB) vs. Yana Grechkinda (UMKC) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
4. Jessica Aragon (NEB) vs. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
5. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish:
Results vs. South Dakota:
1. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Jana Lazarevic (USD) 6-2, 6-2
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Habiba Aly (USD) 6-3, 6-0
3. Marina Cozac (NEB) vs. Natka Kmoskova (USD) 6-2, 3-1, unfinished
4. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) vs. Emma Tranberg (USD) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
5. Jessica Aragon (NEB) vs. Luana Stanciu (USD) 6-2, 5-0, unfinished
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Nanette Nylund (USD) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: