Huskers Defeat Pioneers, 4-3
Lincoln, Neb. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team took down the Denver Pioneers, 4-3 at the Dillon Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Sophomore Isaac Nortey earned a quick 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Daniel Krulig to start off singles competition. Senior Toby Boyer advanced to 5-1 on the season after knocking off Mattia Ross in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 1 spot to give Nebraska a 2-1 lead, as the Pioneers had won the doubles point.
Victor Moreno lost a tough first set by 7-6 (5), but came back strong in the second to win it 7-6 (1). In the third set, Moreno defeated Pedro F. Del Valle 6-4 to pick up the win at No. 3 singles and the match win for the Huskers.
In doubles play, Boyer and Dean dropped a tough 6-1 contest to Summers/Davis at No. 1, while Victor Moreno and Gleason fell short to Krulig/Morris, 6-4 at the No. 3 position. Klousia and Nortey trailed 4-5 at No. 2 in a match that remained unfinished.
The Huskers return to action tomorrow at the Dillon Tennis Center to take on Omaha and Creighton at noon and 5 p.m., respectively.
- Toby Boyer (NEB) def. Mattia Rios (DEN) 6-2, 6-3
- Matt Summers (DEN) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-3, 6-4
- Victor Morena Lozano (NEB) def. Pedro F. Del Valle (DEN) 6-7(5), 7-6(1), 6-4
- William Gleason (NEB) def. James Davis (DEN) 6-3, 6-2
- Ignatius Castelino (DEN) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 6-2, 6-2
- Isaac Nortey (NEB) def. Daniel Krulig (DEN) 6-4, 6-1
- Matt Summers/James Davis (DEN) def. Toby Boyer/Chris Dean (NEB) 6-1
- Micah Klousia/Isaac Nortey (NEB) vs. Mattia Rios/Pedro F. Del Valle (DEN) 4-5, unfinished
- Daniel Krulig/Eric Morris (DEN) def. Victor Moreno Lozano/William Gleason (NEB) 6-4
Order of Finish