Huskers Drop Match to Shockers 4-1
Lincoln, Neb.— The Nebraska women’s tennis team fell to Wichita State, 4-1 on Sunday afternoon. Today’s loss snaps the Huskers five-match home winning streak at the Dillon Tennis Center.
The day began with doubles competition where the Huskers dropped consecutive matches at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. At No. 1, Vasanti Shinde and Marina Cozac fell to Sarvinoz Saidhujaeva and Esther Thebault, 6-2.
In singles play, Claire Reifeis fell to Sandra Honigova 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1, giving the Shockers a 2-0 lead in the match.
At the No. 3 spot, Senior Marina Cozac dropped her match to Marta Bellucco, 6-1, 6-4.
With the Huskers down 3-0, Vasanti Shinde picked up the Big Red’s lone point of the match with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph over Esther Thebault.
The match came to a conclusion on court 5 with Freshman Jessica Aragon suffering a 2-6, 6-1, 2-6 loss to Sarvinoz Saidhujaeva.
The Huskers are back in action next Saturday at the Dillon Tennis Center for a doubleheader vs. Colorado State and North Dakota at 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., respectively.
1. Sandra Honigova (WSU) def. Claire Reifeis (NEB) 6-2,6-2
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Esther Thebault (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Marta Bellucco (WSU) def. Marina Cozac (NEB) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) vs. Lingwei Kong (WSU) 3-6, 7-6 (1), 0-1, unfinished
5. Sarvinoz Saidhujaeva (WSU) def. Jessica Aragon (NEB) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) vs. Ting-Ya Hsu (WSU) 6-1, 4-6, 3-0, unfinished
Order of Finish: