Huskers Fall to No. 31 Washington State
Lincoln, Neb.--The Nebraska women’s tennis team fell to No. 31 Washington State, 4-1 on Saturday at the Dillon Tennis Center. Former Husker tennis standout and current Washington State head coach, Lisa Hart, moves the Cougars to a 12-2 record on the season following today’s win.
The Huskers were unable to secure the doubles point, falling 1-0 to the Cougars early on. The No. 2 pair of Jessica Aragon and Claire Reifeis dropped a tight match to Melisa Ates and Yang Lee of Washington State, 6-4.
In singles competition, Jessica Aragon dropped her match at No. 5 singles to Aneta Miksovska, 6-1, 6-1. Shortly after, Jeannie Lozowski fell 7-5, 6-2 at No. 3 to Savanna Ly-Nguyen of Washington State.
With NU down 3-0 in the match, Junior Claire Reifeis picked up the Huskers lone point of the day with a 7-6 (3), 6-1 win over Tiffany Mylonas. With that victory, Reifeis moves to 10-3 on the season and 5-1 at No. 2 singles. The Indianapolis, Ind., native has the most the most singles wins this season in the Huskers lineup.
At No. 1, Vasanti Shinde was unable to top #35 Michaela Bayerlova, dropping her match 6-4, 6-2. With that win, Washington State claimed the match over NU, 4-1.
Marina Cozac and Hayey Haakenstad both led in their matches at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively, at the conclusion of the match.
Following today’s loss, the Huskers move to 8-7 on the season. Nebraska is back in action at the Dillon Tennis Center Sunday morning at 11 a.m. to take on the Iowa State Cyclones.
Results vs. Washington State
1. Michaela Bayerlova (WASHST) def. Vasanti Shinde (NEB), 6-4, 6-2
2. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Tiffany Mylonas (WASHST), 7-6 (3), 6-1
3. Savanna Ly-Nguyen (WASHST) def. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB), 7-5, 6-2
4. Marina Cozac (NEB) vs. Melisa Ates (WASHST), 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
5. Aneta Miksovska (WASHST) def. Jessica Aragon (NEB), 6-1, 6-1
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) vs. Yang Lee (WASHST) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: