Huskers Drop Big Ten Opener to Badgers, 6-1
Madison, Wis. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team (7-7, 0-1 Big Ten) fell short to the Wisconsin Badgers (7-3, 1-0 Big Ten), 6-1, in a Big Ten Conference opening match for both teams at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis., on Friday night.
Freshman William Gleason earned Nebraska's sole win of the match with a 6-4, 6-3 upset over Jared Pratt at the No. 4 position. Gleason moved to 5-5 on the season and now holds a 3-2 mark at No. 4 singles.
Wisconsin earned the doubles team point with a pair of quick wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
Osgar O'Hoisin interrupted Toby Boyer's seven-match win streak with a 6-3, 7-6 victory at No. 1. Boyer is now 9-2 in the spring season.
Junior Micah Klousia dropped a tough three-set contest to Jesper Freimuth at the No. 2 spot, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, while Victor Moreno Lozano fell to Chase Colton also in three sets, 6-0, 4-6, 6-1. Victor Moreno stopped his five-win sequence and now has a team second-best 8-4 spring record.
The Huskers will return home on Sunday, March 10, to clash with the Iowa Hawkeyes (9-3, 0-0 Big Ten). First serve is set for 1 p.m. CT at the Dillon Tennis Center in Lincoln. Admission is free.
1. Osgar O'Hoisin (WIS) def. Toby Boyer (NEB) 6-3, 7-6
2. Jesper Freimuth (WIS) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
3. Chase Colton (WIS) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NEB) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. William Gleason (NEB) def. Jared Pratt (WIS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Robert Krill (WIS) def. Isaac Nortey (NEB) 6-1, 6-2
6. Daniel Nuzhny (WIS) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,4,1,2,3,6)