Huskers Fall Short to Hawkeyes, 5-2
Lincoln -- The Nebraska men's tennis team (7-8, 0-2 Big Ten) fell short to the Iowa Hawkeyes (10-3, 1-0 Big Ten), 5-2, in its Big Ten Conference home debut at the Dillon Tennis Center in Lincoln, Neb., on Sunday afternoon.
In doubles competition, freshman Victor Moreno Lozano and Nortey dropped a 6-3 contest to Oliver Okonkwo/Will Davies at No. 2, while junior Chris Dean and Klousia lost to Joe Tyler/Piotr Smietana also by a 6-3 margin to give Iowa the doubles point and a 1-0 lead.
Okonkwo defeated freshman William Gleason at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-3 to start off singles play.
Boyer earned his 10th win of the season with a 6-4, 6-3 upset over Kareem Allaf at the No. 1 position.
Victor Moreno then fell to Joe Tyler, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4 to give Iowa a 3-1 lead. At this point, Klousia, Dean
Klousia beat Jonas Larsen at No. 2, 7-6 (4), 7-5, but almost at the same time, Jason Kerst knocked off Dean, 7-5, 6-4 to clinch the match for Iowa at 4-2.
Davies overcame Nortey, 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 at the No. 5 position to close out the Hawkeyes' 5-2 victory.
Up next, the Huskers will take on the No. 39 Wichita State Shockers on Friday, March 15 at 4:30 p.m. CT at the Dillon Tennis Center.
1. Toby Boyer (NU) def. Kareem Allaf (IOWA) 6-4, 6-3
2. Micah Klousia (NU) def. Jonas Larsen (IOWA) 7-6, 7-5
3. Oliver Okonkwo (IOWA) def. William Gleason (NU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Joe Tyler (IOWA) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Will Davies (IOWA) def. Isaac Nortey (NU) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
6. Jason Kerst (IOWA) def. Chris Dean (NU) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,4,1,6,2,5)