Huskers Tame Lions, 4-3
Los Angeles -- The Nebraska men's tennis team put together a comeback effort against Loyola Marymount Wednesday evening, defeating the Lions 4-3.
In doubles play, the Huskers dropped the doubles point with Nick Borchenko and Ethan Prost defeating Victor Moreno Lozano and Micah Klousia 6-1, while Lukas Moenter and Thien Nguyen defeated Toby Boyer and William Gleason in the No. 1 position 7-5. Chris Dean and Isaac Nortey went unfinished in the No. 3 spot up 5-3.
In singles play, the Lions got off to a hot start, thanks to Lucas Moreno defeating Jon Meyer in the No. 6 position 6-0, 6-0 and in the No. 2 Borchenko defeated Klousia 6-4, 6-3 to put Loyola Marymount up 3-0.
Nebraska began its comeback with Lozano defeating Nguyen 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 4 spot, while Nortey got the best of Ethan Prost 6-4, 6-2. Freshman Gleason bested Max Kaiser 6-2, 7-6 in the No. 3 position to tie the match at 3-3.
Boyer dropped his first set but came back to defeat #86 Moenter 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 to clinch the match at 4-3. This was Boyer's third win against a ranked opponent this season -- and his 12th win overall.
Nebraska improves to 8-9 on the year overall and picks up its first away win of the season. The Huskers return to action with a Big Ten matchup against No. 15 Minnesota at the Dillon Tennis Center on Sunday, March 24 at Noon.
1. Toby Boyer (NU) def. Lukas Moenter (LMU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Nick Borchenko (LMU) def. Micah Klousia (NU) 6-4, 6-3
3. William Gleason (NU) def. Max Kaiser (LMU) 6-2, 7-6
4. Victor Moreno Lozano (NU) def. Thien Nguyen (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Isaac Nortey (NU) def. Ethan Prost (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Lucas Moreno (LMU) def. Jon Meyer (NU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lukas Moenter/Thien Nguyen (LMU) def. Toby Boyer/William Gleason (NU) 7-5
2. Nick Borchenko/Ethan Prost (LMU) def. Victor Moreno Lozano/Micah Klousia (NU) 6-1
3. Chris Dean/Isaac Nortey (NU) def. Ryan Brown/Austin Di Giulio (LMU) 5-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,2,4,5,3,1)