Huskers Top Hawkeyes on the Road
Iowa City, Iowa-- The Nebraska women's tennis team improves to 10-15 on the season and 2-7 in the Big Ten after defeating the Iowa Hawkeyes, 4-2. Iowa moves to 12-9 overall and 4-5 in Big Ten competition following the loss to Nebraska.
After picking up the doubles point, Nebraska was able to edge out Iowa in singles with three Huskers winning their matches.
Vasanti Shinde and Marina Cozac got things started for the Huskers at the No. 1 doubles spot. The senior duo took care of business vs. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell and Ashleigh Jacobs of Iowa, earning the 6-4 win.
It would all come down to the matchup at No. 2 doubles featuring Claire Reifeis and Jessica Aragon. The duo overcame an early 2-3 deficit to Iowa's Samantha Mannix and Danielle Bauers but
Sticking with the same lineup as last weekend, NU was able to come out with the advantage over Iowa in singles play.
Vasanti Shinde kicked off the wins for the Huskers, knocking off Samantha Mannix, a native of Elkhorn, Neb., at No. 2 singles. Shinde and Mannix battled back and forth in the first set, but Shinde ran away with the match in the second set winning 6-4, 6-0.
Claire Reifeis continued her winning streak with a dominant 6-4, 6-2 win over Elise Van Heuvelen at No. 1 singles. Last weekend, Reifeis won both of her singles matches at the No. 1 position, helping NU to their first Big Ten win over Maryland.
With the Huskers leading the match 3-2, it all came down to the results at No. 4 and No. 6 singles. Hayley Haakenstad found a way to battle back after suffering a first-set defeat, 3-6. The Junior from Chanhassen, Minn., rattled off the next two sets, 6-3, 6-4 to pick up the win. With that victory, the Big Red earned their fourth point of the match to claim a 4-2 win over Iowa.
The Huskers hit to the road once again next weekend for back-to-back matchups at Minnesota and at Wisconsin. NU will take on the Golden Gophers on April 20th at 9 a.m. CT at the Baseline Tennis Center. The following morning, Nebraska is set to challenge Wisconsin at 10 a.m. CT.
1. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) 6-4, 6-2
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Sam Mannix (IOWA) 6-4, 6-0
3. Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) def. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) 6-3, 6-4
4. Marina Cozac (NEB) vs. Sophie Clark (IOWA) 2-6, 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
5. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) def. Jessica Aragon (NEB) 6-1, 6-2
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Danielle Burich (IOWA) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Vasanti Shinde/Marina Cozac (NEB) def. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell/ Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) 6-4
- Claire Reifeis/Jessica Aragon (NEB) def. Samantha Mannix/Danielle Bauers (IOWA) 6-4
- Adorabol Huckleby/ Cloe Ruette (IOWA) def. Hayley Haakenstad/Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) 6-4
Order of Finish