Huskers Fall at Purdue, 4-0
West Lafayette, Ind. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team (9-15, 1-8 Big Ten) dropped a 4-0 match to the Purdue Boilermakers (10-10, 3-6 Big Ten) on Sunday afternoon at the Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind.
In doubles competition, the 90th-ranked duo of senior Toby Boyer and freshman William Gleason fell short to Athell Bennett/Stephan Koenigsfest, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot. Junior Chris Dean and sophomore Isaac Nortey bounced back with a 6-4 defeat of Mateo Julio/Dominik Sochurek at No. 2, but Franz Luna/Maksylimian Raupuk overcame senior Jon Meyer and junior Micah Klousia, 6-4, at the No. 3 position to give Purdue the doubles point.
Santiago Galan topped sophomore Alvaro Moreno Lozano, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 6 to start off singles play. No. 114 Boyer then dropped a tough 6-3, 6-2 contest to Bennett at No. 1. Koenigsfest bested Nortey at No. 4, 6-4, 6-3, to clinch it for the Boilermakers, 4-0.
Klousia was tied with Julio at No. 2, 4-6, 6-3, while Gleason and Dean trailed at the No. 3 and No. 5, respectively, when the match was called.
The Huskers will return home next weekend to close out the regular season with a pair of tough Big Ten matchups. Nebraska takes on No. 19 Michigan on Friday, April 19 at 6 p.m. CT before clashing with Michigan State on Sunday, April 21, at Noon CT for NU's senior day. Jon Meyer, Toby Boyer
1. Athell Bennett (PUR) def. Toby Boyer (NU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Mateo Julio (PUR) vs. Micah Klousia (NU) 6-4, 3-6, unfinished
3. Maksymilian Raupuk (PUR) vs. William Gleason (NU) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
4. Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR) def. Isaac Nortey (NU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Franz Luna (PUR) vs. Chris Dean (NU) 7-6, 1-0, unfinished
6. Santiago Galan (PUR) def. Alvaro Moreno Lozano (NU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,4)