EVANSTON, Ill. – The top-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes ended Nebraska’s run in the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday as they defeated the Huskers, 4-0. The Huskers’ record now stands at 11-15 as they are 3-8 in Big Ten play. Ohio State is now 30-2 with a perfect 11-0 record in Big Ten action.
Ohio State started the match off by winning the doubles point.
On court No. 1 OSU’s team of Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola downed NU’s duo of Andre Stenger and Eric Sock, 8-1. At the No. 2 spot, Ohio State’s team of Ille Van Engelen and Devin McCarthy downed NU’s Benedikt Lindheim and Robert Schulze, 8-4.
In singles play, the Buckeyes won the first three singles matches to clinch the victory.
On court No. 4, OSU’s Van Engele downed NU’s Stenger in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. Playing at the No. 5 spot for the Huskers was Stefan Gollner, who was defeated by OSU’s Devin McCarthy, 6-1, 6-4. On court No. 6, the Buckeyes Hunter Callahan, 6-3, 6-2, defeated NU’s Tom Blackwell.
The Huskers will now wait to see if they receive an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament. The selection show is on May 1 at4:30
No. 1 Ohio State 4 def No. 9 Nebraska 0
1. #11 Chase Buchanan (OSU) vs. #76 Chris Aumueller (NEB) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
2. #6 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
3. #67 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Robert Schulze(NEB) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
4. #115 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Andre Stenger (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
5. #85 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Stefan Gollner (NEB) 6-1, 6-4
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Tom Blackwell (NEB) 6-3, 6-2
1. #1 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #72 Andre Stenger/Eric Sock (NEB) 8-1
2. #31 Ille Van Engelen/Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Benedikt Lindheim/Robert Schulze (NEB) 8-4
3. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Chris Aumueller/Stefan Gollner (NEB) 5-4, unfinished