Lincoln - The Nebraska men's tennis team won five of six singles matches and swept a trio of wins to claim the doubles point in a 6-1 win over Creighton on Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
The Huskers improved to 3-3 on the young season by posting their second straight win to close the weekend, following a 4-3 decision over No. 30 VCU earlier Sunday.
The Huskers swept the Bluejays in doubles play winning all three courts. The pair of Bradford Zitsch and Sebastian Florczyk notched the first win against Creighton's Anthony Rauschembach and August Nysted, 8-3. The next doubles win came from the No. 1 spots Andre Stenger and Marc Herrmann against Creighton's Ryan Norman and Sean Mathison, 8-6. In the final doubles victory Brandon Videtich and Scott Elsass defeated Creighton's Brandon Lee and Elliott Baker 8-5.
In singles action, Tom Blackwell completed another perfect weekend to improve to 6-0 on the year with an impressive 6-1, 6-0 victory over Creighton's Brandon Lee at No. 4 singles.
Zitsch started a strong singles performance by the Huskers with a 6-1, 6-3 sweep of Nysted at No. 6, before Blackwell completed his own sweep of Lee at No. 4. Herrmann followed with a solid 6-3, 6-4 win over Mathison at No. 2, before Andrew Dzulynsky notched a sweep of his own with a 6-0, 7-6 (7-4) win over CU's Quinn Dippel.
Nebraska got its final singles win of the day from Dusty Boyer, who posted a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Baker at No. 3. Norman prevented a complete sweep by the Huskers with a 3-6, 7-6 (7-1) (1-0) win over NU senior Eric Sock at the No. 1 spot in the lineup.
The Huskers are back on the road next Saturday, Feb. 16, when they take on East Tennesse State and Georgia State in Johnson City, Tenn. NU returns to the Nebraska Tennis Center, Monday, Feb. 18, to battle Wichita State at 2:30 p.m.
Nebraska 6, Creighton 1
Feb. 10, 6 p.m.
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. (NU) Andre Stenger/Marc Herrmann def. (CU) Ryan Norman/Sean Mathison, 8-6
2. (NU) Brandon Videtich/Scott Elsass def. (CU) Brandon Lee/Elliott Baker, 8-5
3. (NU) Bradford Zitsch/Sebastian Florczyk def. (CU) Anthony Rauschembach/August Nysted, 8-3
Order of finish 3, 1, 2,
1. (CU) Ryan Norman def. (NU) Eric Sock def. 3-6, 7-6 (7-1) (1-0)
2. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (CU) Sean Mathison 6-3, 6-4
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (CU) Elliott Baker 7-5, 6-4
4. (NU) Tom Blackwell def (CU) Brandon Lee 6-1, 6-0
5. (NU) Andrew Dzulynsky def. (CU) Quinn Dippel 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
6. (NU) Bradford Zitsch def. (CU) August Nysted 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish 6, 4, 2, 5, 3, 1