Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 60 Nebraska mens tennis team (10-12) was defeated 5-2 Sunday, April 14 by the No. 48 Michigan State at the Nebraska Tennis Center. This puts their conference record at 2-7.
The Huskers struggled in doubles, trying out new pairings against the Spartans. At No. 1 doubles the team of Andre Stenger and Brandon Videtich dropped a tight 8-5 loss to Harry JAdun and Gijs Linders. At. No. 2 doubles Bradford Zitsch and Scott Elsass fell 8-4 to John Mullane and Drew Lied. The Huskers lone doubles victory belonged to Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann, when they knocked off Aaron Pfister and Doug Zade 8-6.
In singles the Huskers managed two wins. The first finish was at No. 3 singles, where Marc Herrmann knocked off the Spartans Denis Bogatov 6-2, 6-2. Next Andre Stenger was defeated by Aaron Pfister 6-4, 6-3.
Eric Sock was defeated 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 singles, by Gijs Linders, while Tom Blackwell was knocked off 6-4, 6-2 by John Mullane at No. 4 singles. The next finish was the teams second win, belonging to Andrew Dzulynsky at No. 6 singles. He won in a tiebreaker against Harry Jadun, for a final score of 7-5, 4-6 (10-8). The teams final finish was at No. 2 singles, when Dusty Boyer lost in the third set to Drew Lied, for a final score of 1-6, 6-1, 6-4.
"It was good to see Marc and Andrew get wins in singles today", said Coach Kerry McDermott. " Got to give Michigan State credit, as they played a complete match today".
No. 48 Michigan State 5 def. No. 60 Nebraska 2
Sunday, April 14
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. (MSU) Harry Jadun/ Gijs Linders def. (NU) Andre Stenger/ Brandon Videtich 8-5
2. (MSU) John Mullane/ Drew Lied def. (NU) Scott Elsass/ Bradford Zitsch 8-4
3. (NU) Marc Herrmann/ Dusty Boyer def. (NU) Aaron Pfister/ Doug Zade 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (MSU) Aaron Pfister def. (NU) Andre Stenger 6-4, 6-3
2. (MSU) Drew Lied def. (NU) Dusty Boyer 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
3. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (MSU) Denis Bogatov 6-2, 6-2
4. (MSU) John Mullane def. (NU) Tom Blackwell 6-4, 6-2
5. (MSU) Gijs Linders def. (NU) Eric Sock 6-2, 6-3
6. (NU) Andrew Dzulynsky def. (MSU) Harry Jadun 7-5, 4-6, (10-8)
Order of finish 1, 3, 5, 4, 6, 2
The Huskers will remain in Lincoln for a week of practice before their last home match on Friday, April 19 against Minnestota at 3 p.m.