Huskers Drop Heart Breaker To Spartans 4-3
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-9, 0-4 Big Ten) couldn't find their first Big Ten win on Friday as they fell 4-3 to Michigan State (14-4, 2-2 Big Ten) at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Spartans went up early in doubles, but the Big Red gave them a run for their money by pulling back three points in singles forcing the match to come down to the last court. In the end, despite Nebraska's fiery display of perseverance, the Spartans earned the victory in the tie-breaker of the third set at No. 6 singles, giving them the 4-3 win.
Starting in doubles, Michigan State earned the point at the No. 3 and 1 positions where Catherine Parenteau and Athena Trouillot ousted Nebraska's Lisa Andersson and Hannah Sulz 8-4 while MSU's Marina Bohrer and Erin Faulkner toppled NU's Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna 8-5, respectively. The No. 2 singles match went unfinished once the point was decided.
The Spartans had the 1-0 lead moving into singles when the Huskers brought two points back to go ahead 2-1. Nebraska grabbed victories at the No. 4 spot when Hanna outpaced Michigan State's Emily Meyers 6-3, 6-3 while NU teammate Izabella Zgierska outlasted MSU's Faulkner 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 2 position. Michigan State tied it up again at 2-2 when Bohrer defeated Nebraska's Lehmicke 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 1.
Michigan State took the lead once again at the No. 3 singles court when Parenteau edged past Nebraska's Andersson 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. The Huskers put things on level terms at the No. 5 spot when Maike Zeppernick defeated the Spartans' Olga Chernova 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. The match came down to the final singles court where MSU's Trouillot narrowly scraped past NU's Sulz in a three-set thriller climax by a score of 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3).
Next up for the Huskers is a road trip to the state of Indiana where they will face Indiana on Saturday, April 5 at 11 a.m. in Bloomington before moving on to West Lafayette where they will tackle Purdue on Sunday, April 6 at noon.
Nebraska - 3
Michigan State - 4
1. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Erin Faulkner (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Lisa Andersson (NU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
4. Mary Hanna (NU) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
6. Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Hannah Sulz (NU) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3)
Order of finish (4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6)
1. Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) 8-5
2. Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) vs. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) DNF 3. Catherine Parenteau/Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Lisa Andersson/Hannah Sulz (NU) 8-4
Order of finish (3, 1)