Bloomington, Ind. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-11, 0-6 Big Ten) fell 6-1 to the No. 43 Indiana Hoosiers (15-6, 3-3 Big Ten) on Saturday to remain without a conference win this spring. The Hukers dropped the doubles point before being knocked out in three quick singles matches.
Starting in doubles, IU's Kayla Fujimoto and Alecia Kauss defeated NU's Lisa Andersson and Hannah Sulz 8-1 at the No. 3 while the point was earned by fellow Hoosiers Shannon Murdy and Sophie Garre over the Huskers' Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska 8-2 at the No. 2 court.
Moving into singles down 1-0, Nebraska dropped five of the six matches to fall in the match 6-1. The only point for Nebraska came at the No. 5 where Zeppernick got a default victory over Indiana's Murdy who retired with an injury. At the No. 2, IU's Garre toppled NU's Zgierska 6-0, 6-4 while fellow Hoosier Kauss pushed the score to 3-1 at the No. 4 over the Huskers' Andersson 6-4, 6-1.
The match was decided at the No. 3 where Indiana's Carolyn Chupa defeated Nebraska's Mary Hanna 6-3, 7-6 (4). The remaining matches played through with IU's Katie Klyczek outlasting NU's Maggy Lehmicke 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 1 spot while fellow Hoosier Paula Gutierrez outpaced the Big Red's Sulz 6-2, 1-6, 1-0 (10-6) at the No. 6 position.
Nebraska faces No. 37 Purdue on Sunday at noon in West Lafayette, Ind.
No. 43 Indiana - 6
Nebraska - 1
1. Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) 6-0, 6-4
3. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Mary Hanna (NEB) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Lisa Andersson (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
5. Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Shannon Murdy (IND) 6-2, retired
6. Paula Gutierrez (IND) def. Hannah Sulz (NEB) 6-2, 1-6, 1-0 (10-6)
Order of finish (5, 2, 4, 3, 1, 6)
1. Katie Kyczek/Carolyn Chupa (IND) vs. MaggyLehmicke/Mary Hanna (NEB) 6-3 unfinished
2. Shannon Murdy/Sophie Garre (IND) def. MaikeZeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NEB) 8-2
3. Kayla Fujimoto/Alecia Kauss (IND) def. LisaAndersson/Hannah Sulz (NEB) 8-1
Order of finish (3, 2)