Huskers Face Tough Competition in the First Round
Montgomery, Ala. - The No. 38 Nebraska mens tennis team (7-5) was defeated by Boise State 4-0 in the first round of the Blue Gray Tennis Classic Friday, March 15. The Huskers will have the chance to compete in the backdraw, facing off against Troy tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.
The Huskers struggled in doubles with losses at the No.1 and 2 positions. The doubles point was clinched when Andre Stenger and Marc Herrmann were knocked off 8-4 by Boise States pair of Bettles and Sereke.
Nebraska fell to 0-2 when Eric Sock was defeated by Filipp Pogostkin 6-2, 6-1. The next point was lost when Tom Blackwell fell to Thomas Tenreiro 7-5, 6-3. No. 1 singles finished last, with Andre Stenger losing a close match to #30 Andy Bettles 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.
Results from tomorrows match in the backdraw will be available on Huskers.com or the tournament website http://bluegraytennis.com.
Blue Grey Tennis Classic
Friday, March 15
Boise State 4 Def. Nebraska 0
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) def. (NU) Stenger/Hermann, 8-4
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. (NU) Boyer/Zitsch, 8-3
3. Mitchell/Pogostkin vs (NU) Videtich/Elsass, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def (NU). Andre Stenger, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) vs. (NU) Marc Herrmann, DNF (4-6, 6-4, 1-1)
3. Scott Sears (BSU) vs. (NU) Dusty Boyer, DNF (4-6, 6-3, 1-1)
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. (NU) Eric Sock, 6-2, 6-1
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. (NU) Tom Blackwell, 7-5, 6-3
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Andrew Dzulynsky, DNF (6-4, 3-2)
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1