Nebraska Closes The Weekend Over Wyoming
Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 15 Nebraska women's tennis team (11-1, 1-0 Big Ten) defeated the No. 64 Wyoming Cowgirls (4-3, 0-0 MWC) today at the Nebraska Tennis Center, 7-0. This is the 12th meeting between the two teams, with Nebraska remaining undefeated by Wyoming in the series 12-0. The Huskers were a little shaky to begin doubles but rallied to grab the point before heading into singles where they put on an excellent display of top-notch tennis action.
The Wyoming girls got the jump on doubles pushing ahead of the Huskers but were unable to maintain their composure for long before submitting to the overpowering play of the Nebraska pairs. At the No. 1 position, Nebraska's No. 18 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova toppled Wyoming's Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova 8-2, quickly followed by Huskers Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich defeating Cowgirls Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova 8-3 at the No. 2 spot.
Doubles point decided, the remaining match finished at the No. 3 position where Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska ousted Wyoming's Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova 8-3. The Huskers were headed into singles play on a 1-0 lead.
Sitting on a 1-0 lead, Nebraska pushed the margin to 2-0 at the No. 1 position where No. 16 Mary Weatherholt dominated Wyoming's Veronica Popovici for a 6-2, 6-2 victory. At the No. 4 position, Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke defeated Wyoming's Sasa Nemcova 6-1, 6-2 to push the lead to 3-0.
The deciding point came at the No. 2 spot where Huskers' Patricia Veresova defeated the Cowgirls' Simona Synkova 6-2, 6-1 to make the score 4-0. The remaining matches finished despite the conclusive victory for the Huskers.
At the No. 5 position, Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska knocked out Wyoming's Jessica Parizher 6-4, 6-2 before the Huskers' Stefanie Weinstein edged the Cowgirls' Alexandra Kovacs 7-6 (7-0), 6-2 at the No. 3 spot to put the score up to 6-0. Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick rounded out the dual with a victory at the No. 6 spot against Wyoming's Christa Gecheva 6-3, 6-3.
The Huskers welcome Kansas State next weekend on Saturday, March 2 at 1 p.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center before hitting the road to face their second Big Ten opponent Iowa on Tuesday, March 5 at 3:30 p.m. in Iowa City, Iowa.
No. 15 Nebraska - 7
No. 64 Wyoming - 0
1. No. 16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Veronica Popovici (UW) 6-2, 6-2.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Simona Synkova (UW) 6-1, 6-2.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) 7-6 (7-0), 6-2.
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Sasa Nemcova (UW) 6-1, 6-2.
5. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Jessica Parizher (UW) 6-4, 6-2.
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Christa Gecheva (UW) 6-3, 6-3.
Order of finish (1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6)
1. No. 18 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Veronica Popovici/Simona Synkova (UW) 8-2.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (UW) 8-3.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) 8-3.
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)