Dozen Huskers to Earn Degrees Saturday
Coach Bo Pelini’s Nebraska football program provided more than half of the Husker graduates, as seven student-athletes from the program earned degrees. Senior linebacker Zaire Anderson, senior offensive lineman Jake Cotton and junior offensive lineman Kevin Williams entered the 2014 season with their bachelor’s degrees in hand. Anderson and Cotton join safety Corey Cooper as Husker seniors who have graduated prior to the kickoff of the 2014 season. Nebraska’s other 10 senior football student-athletes are all on track to graduate in December of 2013.
Other former Husker football players who claim edtheir degrees on Saturday were Harvey Jackson, Tobi Okuyemi, Andrew Rodriguez and Donovan Vestal, who all completed their Nebraska playing careers in 2013.
Coach Chuck Chmelka’s men’s gymnastics program added a pair of graduates to Nebraska’s class, led by All-American Wyatt Aycock. He was joined by Zach Hedval.
Nebraska men’s basketball student-athlete Mike Peltz, track and field student-athlete Maggie Maher and swimmer Ariel Weech rounded out the Husker graduating class.
The group of 12 Huskers came to Nebraska from seven U.S. states and the Bahamas, while earning degrees after declaring 10 different academic majors.
Nebraska continues to feature one of the highest graduation rates in the nation, while leading the nation in the number of CoSIDA Academic All-Americans (314) and NCAA Top Ten Award winners (17) across all sports.
August 2014 Nebraska Student-Athlete Graduates (12)
- Zaire Anderson (Football) Philadelphia, Pa. (Child, Youth & Family Studies)
- Wyatt Aycock (Men’s Gymnastics) Orlando, Fla. (Biological Sciences)
- Jake Cotton (Football) Lincoln, Neb. (History)
- Zach Hedval (Men’s Gymnastics) Santee, Calif. (Political Science)
- Harvey Jackson (Football) Fresno, Texas (Construction Management)
- Maggie Maher (Track & Field) Kearney, Neb. (Special Ed.-Mild/Moderate 7-12)
- Tobi Okuyemi (Football) Maple Grove, Minn. (Psychology)
- Mike Peltz (Men’s Basketball) Alliance, Neb. (Business Administration)
- Andrew Rodriguez (Football) Aurora, Neb. (Ethnic Studies)
- Donovan Vestal (Football) Arlington, Texas (Ethnic Studies)
- Ariel Weech (Swimming & Diving) Nassau, Bahamas (Psychology)
- Kevin Williams (Football) Holland, Ohio (Management)