Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 25-ranked Nebraska women’s tennis team (1-1, 0-0 Big Ten) fell to No. 19 Georgia Tech (1-0, 0-0 ACC) 4-0 on Saturday in their ITA Kick-off Weekend match. The Huskers dropped the doubles point then fell in three singles matches to decide the match. NU will participate in Sunday’s consolation match against No. 18 Texas Tech at 9:30 a.m. followed by the championship match between No. 19 Georgia Tech and No. 16 Vanderbilt at 1 p.m.
In doubles at the No. 1 position, Georgia Tech’s No. 4-ranked Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey toppled Nebraska’s Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna 6-2 while fellow Huskers Izabella Zgierska and Maike Zeppernick ousted the Jackets’ Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and Rasheeda McAdoo 6-4 at the No. 3 spot. The doubles decision came down to the third match at the No. 2 where GTU’s Natasha Prokhnevska and Muriel Wacker won a three-set nail-biter over NU’s Lisa Andersson and Brittany Brewster 7-6 (7-4).
Georgia Tech extended its lead to 3-0 quickly in the singles matches. At the No. 4 position, the Yellow Jackets’ Anton-Ohlmeyer won by default over Nebraska’s Brittany Brewster, who retired after the first set due to injury, while GTU’s Prokhnevska dropped NU’s Marry Hanna 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot. The match was decided at the No. 6 position where Georgia Tech’s Wacker knocked off Nebraska’s Zeppernick 6-3, 6-2.
No. 25 Nebraska – 0
No. 19 Georgia Tech – 4
1. Kendal Woodard (GTU) vs. No. 63 Maggy Lehmicke (NU) DNF
2. Rasheeda McAdoo (GTU) vs. Izabella Zgierska (NU) DNF
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GTU) def. Mary Hanna (NU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GTU) def. Brittany Brewster (NU) retired
5. Megan Kurey (GTU) vs. Lisa Andersson (NU) DNF
6. Muriel Wacker (GTU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish (4, 3, 6)
1. No. 4 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GTU) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) 6-2
2. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GTU) def. Lisa Andersson/Brittany Brewster (NU) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Izabella Zgierska/Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Rasheeda McAdoo (GTU) 6-4
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)