Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 66-ranked Nebraska men's tennis team (10-10, 2-4 Big Ten) fell 6-1 to No. 33 Purdue (13-3, 5-1 Big Ten) at the Vine Street Courts on Sunday. The Huskers dropped the doubles point in three matches before slipping in singles to give the Boilermakers the victory.
In doubles, Nebraska's Marc Herrmann and Dusty Boyer toppled Purdue's Aaron Dujovne and Diego Acosta 8-6 at the No. 2 court before the Boilermakers pulled it back at the No. 1 spot where Szymon Tatarczyk and Ricky Medinilla scraped past the Huskers' Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch 8-7 (7-4). The point was earned by PU's Mateus Silva and Mark Kovacs over NU's Scott Elsass and Tom Blackwell 8-5 at the No. 3 position.
In singles, Purdue's Silva scorched NU's Zitsch 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 6 position while fellow Boilermaker Kovacs routed the Huskers' Blackwell 0-6, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 court. Nebraska earned their only point next at the No. 1 spot where Boyer defeated Purdue's Tatarczyk 6-3, 6-3.
The match was decided at the No. 4 court where Purdue's Dujovne defeated Nebraska's Dzulynsky 6-4, 6-3. The two remaining matches played through with PU's Medinilla outpacing NU's Herrmann 6-3, 7-6 (7-3) at the No. 2 spot while fellow Boilermaker Acosta outlasted the Huskers' Vasileios Stavropoulos 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 at the No. 5 position.
Next up for the Huskers is a mid-week match against Iowa on the road in Iowa City, Iowa on Wednesday, April 9 at 2 p.m.
No. 66 Nebraska - 1
No. 33 Purdue - 6
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ricky Medinilla (PU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Mark Kovacs (PU) def. Tom Blackwell (NU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Aaron Dujovne (PU) def. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Diego Acosta (PU) def. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Mateus Silva (PU) def. Bradford Zitsch (NU) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish (6, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5)
1. Ricky Medinilla/Szymon Tatarczyk (PU) def. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Marc Herrmann/Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Diego Acosta/Aaron Dujovne (PU) 8-6
3. Mateus Silva/Mark Kovacs (PU) def. Scott Elsass/Tom Blackwell (NU) 8-5
Order of finish (2, 1, 3)