Huskers Start Season at Gopher Invite
Dates: Sunday, Sept. 7 - Monday, Sept. 8
Golf Course: Windsong Farm Golf Club
Location: Independence, Minn.
Course Par: 71
Course Yardage: 7,152
Format: 54 holes
- Sunday: 36 holes starting at 7:30 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 and 10)
- Monday: 18 holes starting at 7:30 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 and 10)
Scoring: Live scoring on BirdieFire.com
Course Website: www.wsfarm.com
Tournament Field (14 teams): Charlotte, Michigan State, Saint John’s (Minn.), UAB, Minnesota, New Mexico, California, Baylor, Kent State, VCU, Notre Dame, San Francisco, Central Arkansas, Nebraska
1. Calvin Freeman
2. Ross Dickson
3. Josh Reinertson
4. Mike Siwa
5. Justin Jennings
The Nebraska men’s golf team opens its 2014-15 campaign on Sunday and Monday at the Gopher Invitational at Windsong Farm Golf Club in Independence, Minn.
The Huskers will bring four seniors and one sophomore to the par-71, 7,152-yard layout for the 54-hole tournament. Sunday’s opening round begins at 7:30 a.m. (CT) on Holes 1 and 10. NU’s starters will tee off between 8:44 a.m. and 9:32 a.m. on Hole No. 10. Live scoring for the event will be provided by BirdieFire.com.
In addition to the Huskers, the 14-team field includes Charlotte, Michigan State, Saint John’s (Minn.), UAB, Minnesota, New Mexico, California, Baylor, Kent State, VCU, Notre Dame, San Francisco and Central Arkansas.
Senior Calvin Freeman will represent the No. 1 spot in Nebraska’s lineup after appearing in 11 of 12 tournaments last season for a 74.90 stroke average. Fellow seniors Ross Dickson, Josh Reinertson and Mike Siwa will also make the trip to Minnesota.
Dickson played in every tournament in 2013-14, compiling a 74.56 stroke average. Reinertson came on strong in the spring, earning a 73.85 stroke average in 13 rounds, while Siwa earned a 76.39 average in 18 rounds.
The No. 5 spot will be taken by sophomore Justin Jennings who compiled a 76.06 average over 18 rounds last season.
Off the Tee (Team Notes)
• The Huskers are making their first all-time appearance at the Gopher Invitational, which is in its 10th year as a tournament.
• The Huskers have managed top 10 finishes in three of their last four stroke play events dating back to last season.
• Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 14th season, Nebraska has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 31 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
• The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. In each season from 2010 to 2012, the Huskers sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional (2012), Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional (2011) and Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional (2010).
Chip Shots (Individual Notes)
Ross Dickson, Senior (London, England)
• Ross Dickson enters his senior season having played 82 competitive rounds for the Huskers over three years for a 75.49 stroke average.
• Dickson’s career-best round (68) and career-best 54-hole score (214) came at the 2014 Desert Shootout.
• Dickson’s best tournament finish (T-3rd) was at the 2012 D.A. Weibring Intercollegiate.
Calvin Freeman, Senior (Table Rock, Neb.)
• Calvin Freeman joined the Huskers in 2013-14 as a junior after competing at Southeast Community College-Beatrice for two seasons. In his first year at Nebraska, Freeman played in 11 of 12 tournaments for a 74.90 stroke average over 31 rounds.
• Freeman has shot his career-low round of 68 twice.
• Freeman’s best career 54-hole score was 211, which he fired at the 2014 Desert Shootout.
• Freeman’s best finish was a tie for ninth at the 2014 Oak Hill Intercollegiate.
Justin Jennings, Sophomore (Amarillo, Texas)
• Justin Jennings played in eight tournaments last season as a true freshman, compiling a 76.06 stroke average over 18 rounds.
• Jennings’ lowest career round (69), lowest career 54-hole score (217) and best tournament finish (T-22nd) came at the 2013 Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational.
Ben Maschka, Freshman (Omaha, Neb.)
• Ben Maschka begins his first season at Nebraska after a standout career at Omaha Creighton Prep High School where he won the individual Class A state title in 2014.
Cameron Palmer, Junior (Gilbert, Ariz.)
• Cameron Palmer did not compete for the Huskers in 2013-14, but played in two tournaments during the spring 2013 season. He holds a stroke average of 80.00 in three stroke play rounds at Nebraska after he transferred from Arizona State during his sophomore season.
Josh Reinertson, Senior (Gibbon, Neb.)
• Josh Reinertson begins his senior season after a summer that included a trip to the U.S. Amateur as well as a tie for fourth at the Nebraska Amateur and an appearance in the semifinals of the Nebraska Match Play.
• Reinertson proved to be a consistent player for the Huskers during the spring 2014 season, compiling a 73.85 stroke average in 13 rounds. He managed a career-best fifth-place finish at the 2014 Oak Hill Intercollegiate and fired a career-low 54-hole score of 213 at the Desert Shootout.
Mike Siwa, Senior (Omaha, Neb.)
• Fifth-year senior Mike Siwa competed in seven tournaments for the Huskers in 2013-14, earning a 76.39 stroke average.
• Siwa’s best 54-hole score is 221, which he accomplished at the 2014 Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate. His best career result is 18th place at the 2014 Oak Hill Intercollegiate.
Niko Vui, Freshman (Apia, Samoa)
• The top-ranked amateur player in Samoa, Niko Vui spent his high school career golfing at LDS Pesega College and brings international experience to Nebraska’s roster.
Aaron Wong, Junior (Chandler, Ariz.)
• Aaron Wong played in two tournaments last season for a 75.33 stroke average over six rounds.
• Wong’s lowest round (68), lowest 54-hole score (223) and best tournament finish (T-7th) all came at the 2012 Fairway Club Invitational.
Nathan Wong, Sophomore (Chandler, Ariz.)
• Nathan Wong competed in the first tournament of the 2013-14 campaign, recording a tie for 33rd, after redshirting in 2012-13. He holds a career stroke average of 74.67.
• Former Husker golfer Brady Schnell fired a second-round 59 at Sirocco Golf Course on Aug. 1 while competing at the ATB Financial Classic in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Schnell, an Omaha, Neb., native, became the first player in PGA Tour Canada history to card a sub-60 score.
• Josh Reinertson qualified for the U.S. Amateur after firing 11-under-par 133 for two rounds at Willowbend Golf Club in Wichita, Kan., on July 16. At the U.S. Amateur, he shot 80 and 77 and missed the 64-player cut for the match play portion of the tournament.
• Newcomer Ben Maschka captured individual medalist honors at the Nebraska Class A State Boys Golf Tournament at Holmes Park Golf Course on May 29. Maschka fired a pair of 68s at the two-day, 36-hole tournament to lead Omaha Creighton Prep to its third consecutive team title.