Randy York's N-sider
To "Respond to Randy" click on the link below and choose "Randy York's N-Sider" under "Area of Interest" on the new screen (please include your town/city/state). Your comments may be published.
As disciplined and organized as Tom Osborne has been throughout his life, Lane Grindle revealed his weak spot Monday night on the Tom Osborne Radio Show.
Grindle, the show's host, asked Nebraska's athletic director if he was still the same last-minute shopper he was when he was the Huskers' head football coach for 25 years.
"Old habits die hard, and I'm afraid I'll still be out there the 23rd or the 24th," Osborne told Grindle. "It'll take me about 10 minutes. I'm pretty quick. I hate to shop. So hopefully there's something's left when I get around to it."
Grindle reminded Osborne that one of the best shopping spots in Husker Nation is right here on Huskers.com, and he's right.
To help everyone, the N-sider has put together a list that makes holiday shopping easy. It is designed to enable smart, no-hassle online shopping, right here, right now - a perfect opportunity for you to delight your family and friends at the same time you're supporting your favorite Athletic Department.
Here, in our opinion, are links to 12 can't-miss gifts covering a full range of prices:
1) Tom Osborne's 'Beyond the Final Score' book ($24.95) offers a bonus for orders placed between now and Dec. 31, 2009, on Huskers.com - your own autographed copy. Every Osborne book is substantive reading, but this one is his best. He talks about the principles behind his leadership style, why he pursued politics and what he was thinking when he returned to NU as athletic director. Osborne makes a strong case for both mentoring and serving, but he also wields a sharp wit in his chapter on fishing, flying and family. I know an elementary school teacher who read that chapter and laughed so loud, you would have thought she was watching The Office. We see books everywhere we turn, but this one defines the heart and the mind of a Hall-of-Fame coach and a U.S. Congressman who goes above and beyond to describe life in a uniquely rich way.
2) This is one of the coolest Big Red gifts you've ever seen - a photo of your own personalized virtual jersey ($49.95 & up) hanging on a Husker football or basketball locker. You can even have your name on the football field, just like the band would spell it out in your honor. Talk about a conversation piece. You can also click the Buy button on the player waving to the crowd. It will take you to the "Personalizer" with an arrow in the upper right-hand column. Type in your name, hit "APPLY" and watch what happens. Make sure you "view larger image" to get the whole picture. See yourself waving to the crowd or watch the band spell out your name. Creativity executed. Satisfaction guaranteed. Huskers.com bonus: With any print, canvas wrap or personalized gift, use the code ICE and save $20 on orders of $75 or more.
3) The best of 2009 Nebraska Football ($54.95) is a keepsake for every fan who has watched the Huskers return to their Blackshirt roots in a season that fell one second short of winning the Big 12 championship. This three-game DVD Husker Value Pack includes the historic 300 sellout celebration in all its pageantry, the 10-3 upset of Oklahoma and the unique reunion involving both programs, and, of course, the 2009 Holiday Bowl against Arizona.
4) Here's an N-sider special for the most devout Husker follower who can't find No. 93 jerseys because they sold out before certain major events even happened. Fortunately, our own Huskers Authentic Store, located across the street from Memorial Stadium, has Nebraska 93 Blackshirts T-shirts for $18 in all youth sizes and all adult sizes. Sorry, online is unavailable here, so you'll have to visit the store or call 402-472-3633 to reserve one of these tees over the phone. The store received about 100 authentic red 93 jerseys on Friday, but hurry. These jerseys, available in both youth ($55) and adult ($75) sizes, won't last long.
5) This holiday special requires the purchaser to enter a Huskers.com Auction that ends Friday afternoon. You can bid on six different 1962 Husker football throwback jerseys from the athletic department's original order to commemorate Nebraska's 300 sellout celebration. These are the exact same jerseys that drew record bids in Huskers.com auctions early last fall. The only difference is these jerseys were not worn in that historic game. Still, they're one-of-a-kind, and bidding begins at $200. Auctions for the final six authentic replica jerseys will begin on Thursday, Dec. 17, and end on Tuesday, Dec. 22, allowing successful bidders enough time to acknowledge in a card what they are giving - or receiving - as a holiday gift.
6) Hey, it's cold outside, so it's only appropriate that we feature a $17.95 scarlet-and-white reversible knit beanie. Check it out. Quality embroidery. Soft fleece lining. One size fits most, maybe even the head of Ndamukong Suh, who has remained a very humble young man after a week of winning four major awards across the country.
7) With snow on the ground, someone has to be dreaming about golf, so why not order a Nebraska scarlet Three-Pack of Golf Club Headcovers for $34.95. Bet they'd look just as good in St. Edward as they would in San Diego.
8) So your sister, your girlfriend, your mom or your grandma is just as big of a Husker fan as you are. Why not surprise her this year with either a 3/4-length raglan sleeve ladies tee for $23.95 or a Nebraska brown football purse with the Husker logo? This purse has a detachable shoulder strap, a zippered inner compartment and will cost you $34.95 to prove how savvy you really are.
9) We haven't forgotten about all the students who want to be equipped for their next class at the same time they want to show some Husker spirit. One of the best buys in our online store is a campus laptop backpack, replete with a padded laptop pocket in team logo and colors. Sixty bucks for this officially licensed product that comes with an organizer pocket, a top carry handle and a waist strap with buckle for extra security.
10) You're not going to the Holiday Bowl, but still want to show your support? Huskers Authentic has nine Holiday Bowl Bound ways you can do just that - from short and long-sleeved T-shirts to $36.95 hoody sweatshirts, available in both red and black. Remember, anything you buy this holiday season at Huskers Authentic includes three-day shipping on any sized order for just $4.99.
11) We'd be remiss if we didn't include a year-long value with a 20-percent discount. One annual payment of $79.95 delivers exclusive inside access to HuskersNside.
12) We end our 12 can't miss gifts for the holidays with a special offer for that ultra-optimistic Big Red fan who's already envisioning a great performance in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl and the possibility of the Huskers being favored to win next year's Big 12 championship. If that sounds like a special someone you know and love, help him or her climb aboard with a 2010 Complete Season DVD Package that includes priority shipping. Do it now and save $21 off the $269.95 regular price.
That's enough for one column. If you didn't find anything here, good luck joining all of those last-minute holiday shoppers who could just as easily be at home on Dec. 23rd and 24th, listening to their favorite CDs, sipping hot chocolate, stoking the fire and reading to the kids or grandkids.
So what's it going to be, hassle or hassle-free? The choice is yours.
Respond to Randy