2008 NCAA Lincoln Regional
Game 5: Oral Roberts 8, Nebraska 0
Sunday, June 1, 2008
· Oral Roberts improved to 48-13 on the season with the win and 15-8 on the road. With the win, ORU advanced to an NCAA Regional final for the fourth time in five years under Coach Rob Walton (lone regional championship came in 2006 at the NCAA Fayetteville Regional).
· The shutout was Oral Roberts’ sixth of the season and first combined shutout of the year. ORU’s last shutout was thrown by Jerry Sullivan against
· Starting pitcher Kelly Minissale was just two outs away from recording his second straight shutout. Minissale has now thrown 17.1 consecutive scoreless innings and has not allowed a run since surrendering six runs in only one inning of a start at
· Minissale improved to 3-3 on the season, with all three wins coming against NCAA Tournament teams, including a complete-game shutout at
· The Golden Eagles are now 35-3 this season when scoring first and 18-1 when scoring in the first inning.
· ORU scored at least seven runs for the eighth-straight game. The Golden Eagles have now scored 23 runs through their first three games of the NCAA Lincoln Regional.
· Oral Roberts recorded 15 hits on Sunday, marking its fifth straight game with at least 10 hits. The Golden Eagles recorded 14 hits on Saturday and 11 hits on Friday and have now recorded double-digit hits in 11 of their last 12 games.
· After being outscored 8-2 after three innings on Friday, Oral Roberts has outscored its last two opponents a combined 11-1 after the first three innings.
· Michael Notaro hit his 10th home run of the season on Sunday. Notaro has nine home runs in his last 19 games after homering just once through the first 26 games of the season. Notaro joins Brian Van Kirk (18 homers) and David Genao (10) as Golden Eagles with double-digit home runs this season.
· Brian Van Kirk finished with one RBI in the game and now has 74 on the season. He now ranks seventh on the Oral Roberts single-season chart.
· Brendan Duffy reached base in all five of his plate appearances, finishing 3-for-3 with a walk and a hit-by-pitch. Duffy added two doubles and scored three runs while finishing one shy of his career best in both hits and runs.
· Duffy was one of five Golden Eagles to record a multi-hit game joining Ben Petralli (2-for-5), Brian Van Kirk (2-for-5), Michael Notaro (2-for-4) and David Genao (2-for-4).
· Genao finished 2-for-4 on Sunday to extend his hitting streak to a eight games, matching a season-high. In three games at the NCAA Lincoln Regional, Genao is 8-for-15 with a homer and five RBIs.