2008 NCAA Lincoln Regional
Championship Game: UC Irvine 8, Oral Roberts 0
Sunday, June 1, 2008
- Oral Roberts ended its season with a 48-14 record. ORU lost in the NCAA Regional final for the second straight year and for the fourth time in the past five seasons. The lone exception came in 2006, when the Golden Eagles won the NCAA Fayetteville Regional before falling in a Super Regional.
- The Golden Eagles were shut out for the first time this season and for the first time in 90 games dating back to a 7-0 loss to Long Beach State on April 5, 2007.
- Starting pitcher Carlos Luna, who entered the game tied for the national lead in wins, suffered the first loss of his Division I career. Luna had been 16-0, including a 13-0 mark this season (Luna was 7-4 at Bakersfield Community College in 2006). Luna was charged with a season-high six runs (five earned) in 6.1 innings. Luna was making his second appearance in two days, as he threw 4.1 innings in earning the victory over Eastern Illinois on Saturday.
- Oral Roberts batters struck out a season-high 14 times on Sunday after striking out a then-season high 13 times against UC Irvine on Friday night.
- ORU failed to score at least seven runs for the first time in nine games. The Golden Eagles had scored 23 runs through their first three games of the NCAA Lincoln Regional, including eight in Sunday’s first game. ORU managed seven runs in Friday’s tilt against UC Irvine, but could not muster a run against the Anteaters on Sunday.
- Oral Roberts recorded only seven hits on Sunday after recording 11 hits against UC Irvine on Friday, 14 on Saturday against Eastern Illinois and 15 in Sunday’s earlier game against Nebraska. The Golden Eagles had recorded at least 10 hits in 11 of their last 12 games before being limited to seven by UC Irvine.
- ORU’s four errors matched a season high, marking the fourth time this season the Golden Eagles committed four errors in a game.
- Ben Petralli, Michael Notaro, David Genao and Kelly Minissale were each named to the NCAA Lincoln Regional all-tournament team.