Nebraska Sweeps Creighton at Home
The Nebraska women's tennis team concluded their weekend of competition at the Nebraska Tennis Center with a 7-0 sweep of Creighton on Sunday. The No. 26 Huskers (8-1) cruised through singles and doubles play against the Bluejays (4-4) to finish their weekend at 2-0. Junior Jennifer Holmberg had an especially strong day for the Big Red, sweeping both her singles and doubles opponents on Sunday.
The Huskers kicked off the day with doubles, where Jennifer Holmberg and Abby Buxton led the way at the No. 3 position, sweeping the Bluejay’s Sarah Cadwallader and Lauren Mastro, 8-0. Nebraska then clinched the doubles point with a win in No. 2 doubles, where NU’s Patricia Veresova and Maike Zeppernick topped Mary McMullan and Kelsey Schmidt, 8-2. The Huskers closed out doubles with a win at the No. 1 spot, where Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein defeated Anna Kirschenbaum and Analese Snyder, 8-2.
The Huskers didn’t lose their momentum heading into singles play, starting strong at the No. 5 position with Jennifer Holmberg’s 6-0, 6-0 sweep of Mary McMullan. Stefanie Weinstein added a victory in No. 3 singles, posting a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Kelsey Schmidt. Sophomore Chelsea Finnegan logged the next victory for NU in No. 6 singles, where she defeated Sarah Cadwallader, 6-2, 6-0 and clinched the match for Nebraska. Janine Weinreich then took down Lauren Mastro in No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-0. Madeleine Geibert completed the sweep for the Huskers in No. 2 singles, chalking up a 6-2, 6-4 win over Analese Snyder.
Nebraska will have a week to prepare for a taste of next season, as they will travel to compete against future Big Ten foes Wisconsin and Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minn. The Huskers will face the Badgers on March 5 at 1 p.m. and the Golden Gophers on March 6 at 11 a.m.
1. Geibert/Weinstein (NU) def. Kirschenbaum/Snyder (CU), 8-2
2. Veresova/Zeppernick (NU) def. McMullan/Schmidt (CU), 8-2
3. Holmberg/Buxton (NU) def. Cadwallader/Mastro (CU), 8-0
1. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Anna Kirschenbaum (CU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Analese Snyder (CU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Kelsey Schmidt (CU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Lauren Mastro (CU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Mary McMullan (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Chelsea Finnegan (NU) def. Sarah Cadwallader (CU), 6-2, 6-0
Doubles (3, 2, 1)
Singles (5, 3, 6, 4, 1, 2)