LINCOLN- The No. 38 Nebraska Cornhuskers swept their matches on Sunday to improve to 4-2 on the season. In the first match of the day, NU defeated Creighton, 6-1. In Sunday's nightcap, the Huskers downed No. 74 East Tennessee State, 4-3.
The Huskers got out to a quick start against the Creighton Bluejays winning the doubles point.
On court No. 1 the Huskers duo of Andre Stenger and Robert Schulze downed Creighton's team of Billy Paluch and J.T. Christian, 8-6. On court No. 2, clinching the doubles point for NU's was the squad of Eric Sock and Stefan Gollner who defeated CU's Kyle Obermeier and Elliott Baker, 8-6.
Nebraska kept the momentum they gained in doubles play going into singles when they won five points to clinch the victory, their fifth in a row in over the Bluejays.
On court No. 1, NU's Christopher Aumueller downed Paluch in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. On court No. 2, Nebraska's Stefan Gollner was victorious over Creighton's Christian, 6-3, 6-3. Nebraska's Andre Stenger defeated CU's Obermeier on court No. 3, 6-3, 6-2. Schulze picked up the Huskers fifth point when he downed Creighton's Ryan Norman in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. Schulze was playing at the No. 5 spot in the Huskers' lineup. Nebraska's sixth and final point came at the No. 5 spot when Tom Blackwell downed Creighton's Gabe Nagy, 7-6, 6-2.
Creighton's lone point came on court No. 6 when Elliott Baker downed NU's Drew Freeman, 3-6, 7-5, 7-6.
Nebraska's match against East Tennessee State came down to court No. 6 in singles play when NU's Eric Sock fought back to defeat ETSU's Roger Ordeig, 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-4, to win the fourth point and the match for the Huskers.
The Huskers started the match by winning the doubles point when they swept all three matches.
On court No. 1, Nebraska's squad of Aumueller and Benedikt Lindheim were down 2-5, but came back to defeat East Tennessee State's duo of Sander Gille and Juan Ramirez, 6-3, 6-0. On court No. 2, NU's duo of Schulze and Stenger were victorious over ETSU's Jesus Bandres and Jorge Varon, 8-1. Nebraska's Gollner and Sock were victorious over ETSU's Jeremy Bonnevalle and Rogerio Ribeiro, 8-5.
Playing at the No. 1 spot in the Huskers lineup for the first time this season was Benedikt Lindheim. His streak of four consecutive wins came to an end when ETSU's Gille was victorious in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0. The Huskers' Aumueller downed Bandres, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot. The Buccaneers' Ramirez got the better of NU's Stenger at the No. 3 spot when he was victorious, 6-1, 5-7, 7-5.
At the No. 4 spot in the Huskers' lineup was Gollner, who was victorious over ETSU's Varon, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. East Tennessee State's Ribeiro was victorious on court No. 5 when he defeated NU's Schulze, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
After Sunday's matches, Nebraska head coach Kerry McDermott was glad that his team competed hard to go 2-0 on the day.
"Coming into today, I knew these were going to be tough matches," McDermott said. "It was good competition and I'm glad the guys competed.
"I'm glad we came through, especially tonight because at times I thought we were down and out. It was good to see that the guys refused to lose. They fought hard and didn't quit."
The Huskers will be back in action in Friday, Feb. 17 when they take on the Drake Bulldogs at the Nebraska Tennis Center. First serve is set for 6 p.m.
No. 38 Nebraska 6 def. Creighton 1
1. Stenger/Schulze (NU) def. Paluch/Christian (CU), 8-6
2. Sock/Gollner (NU) def. Obermeier/Baker (CU), 8-6
3. Norman/Mathison (CU) def. Blackwell/Freeman (NU), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Christopher Aumueller (NU) def. Billy Paluch (CU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Stefan Gollner (NU) def. J.T. Christian (CU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Andre Stenger (NU) def. Kyle Obermeier (CU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Robert Schulze (NU) def. Ryan Norman (CU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Gabe Nagy (CU), 7-6, 6-2
6. Elliott Baker (CU) def. Drew Freeman (NU), 3-6, 7-5, 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6
No. 38 Nebraska 4 def. No. 74 East Tennessee State 3
1. Aumueller/Lindheim (NU) def. Gille/Ramirez (ETSU), 8-6
2. Schulze/Stenger (NU) def. Bandres/Varon (ETSU), 8-1
3. Gollner/Sock (NU) def. Bonnevalle/Ribeiro (ETSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Sander Gille (ETSU) def. Benedikt Lindheim (NU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Christopher Aumueller (NU) def. Jesus Bandres (ETSU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Juan Ramirez (ETSU) def. Andre Stenger (NU), 6-1, 5-7, 7-5
4. Sefan Gollner (NU) def. Jorge Varon (ETSU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Robert Schluze (NU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Eric Sock (NU) def. Roger Ordeig (ETSU), 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6