Huskers Fall in Road Match at Illinois
Champaign, Ill. - The No. 25 Nebraska women's tennis team fell by a score of 4-3 to No. 50 Illinois in NU's second Big Ten match of the season. The Huskers (15-2, 1-1 Big Ten) won the doubles point against the Fighting Illini (9-5, 1-1 Big Ten) but were unable to capitalize in singles play. The loss is only Nebraska's second of the season and snaps NU's 15-match winning streak dating back to Feb. 4 against Wyoming.
Nebraska began the day by winning its 15th doubles point of the season. After the Illini captured a win in No. 3 doubles, the Huskers began to push back, led by the 26th-ranked duo of Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein (NU) in No. 1 singles. Geibert and Weinstein downed Rachael White and Melissa Kopinski (ILL), 8-2 to even things up in singles play.
Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova (NU) sealed the deal for the Big Red, defeating Chelcie Abajian and Breanna Smutko (ILL) 8-4 in No. 2 doubles. The victory secured the doubles point for the Huskers and gave Nebraska a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
As the match entered singles action, the Huskers extended their lead to 2-0 with No. 58 Mary Weatherholt's 6-3, 6-2 win in No. 1 singles over No. 92 Allison Falkin (ILL). The win puts Weatherholt at 13-4 overall and 2-2 against ranked opponents in singles action this season.
Illinois quickly evened things up with wins at the Nos. 4 and 6 singles positions. In No. 4 singles, Amy Allin (ILL) topped Nebraska's Geibert, 6-3, 6-3, while Jennifer Holmberg (NU) dropped a 6-2, 6-4 decision to Illinois' White at the No. 6 position.
The Huskers battled back, taking a 3-2 lead as Janine Weinreich (NU) topped the Illini's Smutko, 6-0, 7-5 in No. 5 singles. Illinois snagged another win in No. 2 singles to tie things up at 3-3, as Veresova fell in a tight match to Illinois' Kopinski, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.
The match would come down to the No. 3 singles position, where NU's Weinstein was locked in a battle with Marissa Lambropoulos (ILL). Despite Weinstein's strong effort, Lambropoulos came out on top with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 victory to seal the win for the Illini.
The No. 25 Huskers will continue Big Ten play tomorrow, journeying to Evanston to face the No. 14 Northwestern Wildcats for the second time this season. The match is slated to begin at 11 a.m. with live stats available at NUSports.com.
No. 50 Illinois 4
No. 25 Nebraska 3
Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex
1. No. 58 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 92 Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-3, 6-2
2. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Patricia Veresova (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. Marissa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
4. Amy Allin (ILL) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU) 6-3, 6-3
5. No. 101 Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Breanna Smutko (ILL) 6-0, 7-5
6. Rachael White (ILL) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish
(1, 4, 6, 5, 2, 3)
1. No. 26 Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Rachael White/Melissa Kopinski (ILL) 8-2
2. Patricia Veresova/Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Chelcie Abajian/Breanna Smutko (ILL) 8-4
3. Marisa Lambropoulos/Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Jennifer Holmberg/Janine Weinreich (NU) 8-3
Order of finish
(3, 1, 2)