No. 16 Vanderbilt Def. No. 18 Texas Tech 4-1
Lincoln, Neb. - In the opening match of the ITA Kick-off Weekend between No. 16 Vanderbilt and No. 18 Texas Tech, the Commodores emerged victorious by a score of 4-1 on Saturday. Texas Tech is set to play in the consolation match Sunday at 9:30 a.m. while VU will move on to the championship match at 1 p.m.
Vanderbilt won two doubles matches leaving the third unfinished to secure the doubles point. At the No. 1 position, VU's No. 28-ranked Ashleigh Antal and Sydney Campbell ousted Texas Tech's No. 25-ranked Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo 6-2 while the Commodores' Lauren Mira and Georgina Sellyn toppled TTU's Sarah Toti and Lynn Kiro 6-2 at the No. 3. The No. 2 doubles match did not finish.
Headed into singles on a 1-0 advantage, Vanderbilt extended the lead at the No. 4 position where Frances Altick scorched the Red Raiders' No. 92-ranked Kiro 6-1, 6-0. At the No. 2 spot, the Commodores' Courtney Colton defeated Texas Tech's Rashmi Teltumbde 6-2, 6-4 to push the lead to 3-0. The match was decided at the No. 6 position where Vanderbilt's No. 102-ranked Antal narrowly defeated the Red Raiders' Sarah Toti 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5).
The No. 3 singles match finished as the match was decided. Texas Tech's Nikki Sanders defeated Vanderbilt's No. 48 Sellyn 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6).
No. 16 Vanderbilt - 4
No. 18 Texas Tech - 1
1. No. 58 Kenna Kilgo (TTU) vs. No. 78 Sydney Campbell (VU) DNF
2. Courtney Colton (VU) def. Rashmi Teltumbde (TTU) 6-2, 6-4.
3. Nikki Sanders (TTU) vs. No. 48 Georgina Sellyn (VU) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Frances Altick (VU) def. No. 92 Lynn Kiro (TTU) 6-1, 6-0.
5. Samantha Adams (TTU) vs. Marie Casares (VU) DNF
6. No. 102 Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Sarah Toti (TTU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
Order of finish (4, 2, 6, 3)
1. No. 28 Ashleigh Antal/Sydney Campbell (VU) def. No. 25 Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TTU) 6-2
2. Courtney Colton/Marie Casares (VU) vs. Nikki Sanders/Rashmi Teltumbde (TTU) DNF
3. Lauren Mira/Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Sarah Toti/Lynn Kiro (TTU) 6-2
Order of finish (1, 3)