Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska men's tennis team (11-11, 3-5 Big Ten) suffered a 5-2 loss to the Northwestern Wildcats (16-9, 4-4 Big Ten) on Friday at the NU Vine Street Courts. The Huskers challenged the Wildcats early in doubles, earning the point in three matches, but tripped up in singles to drop their senior day match.
In doubles, Nebraska's Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann rolled past Northwestern's Konrad Zieba and Sam Shropshire 8-2 at the No. 2 position while the Wildcats' Fedor Baev and Strong Kirchheimer ousted the Huskers' Tom Blackwell and Scott Elsass 8-6 at the No. 3 spot. The point was decided at the No. 1 court where the Big Red's Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch grabbed a victory over Northwestern's No. 23-ranked Raleigh Smith and Mihir Kumar 8-6.
In singles, Northwestern's No. 125-ranked Shropshire toppled Nebraska's Herrmann 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 2 court while fellow Wildcat Alex Pasareanu defeated the Huskers' Videtich at the No. 6 by a score of 6-2, 6-4. The Wildcats' Strong Kirchheimer edged past the Big Red's Vasileios Stavropoulos 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) at the No. 5 to put Northwestern ahead 3-1 in singles.
The match was decided at the No. 1 court where Northwestern's No. 54-ranked Smith knocked off Nebraska's Boyer 6-3, 7-5 to get the team victory. In the two remaining matches, the Huskers earned a point at the No. 3 spot when senior Blackwell took his opponent, the Wildcats' Zieba, three sets and earned the 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 win. The final match at the No. 4 court ended in a victory for Northwestern's Kumar over Nebraska's Andrew Dzulynsky 6-3, 6-7 (11-13), 1-0 (10-6).
The Huskers face the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks on Friday as well at 7 p.m. in the Nebraska Tennis Center before hosting Illinois on Sunday at noon at the Vine Street Courts, but scheduled to be relocated to the NTC pending inclement weather.
No. 62 Nebraska - 2
No. 34 Northwestern - 5
1. No. 54 Raleigh Smith (NWU) def. Dusty Boyer (NU) 6-3, 7-5
2. No. 125 Sam Shropshire (NWU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Konrad Zieba (NWU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Mihir Kumar (NWU) def. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) 6-3, 6-7 (11-13), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Strong Kirchheimer (NWU) def. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Alex Pasareanu (NWU) def. Brandon Videtich (NU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish (2, 6, 5 1, 3, 4)
1. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. No. 23 Raleigh Smith/Mihir Kumar (NWU) 8-6
2. Dusty Boyer/Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Konrad Zieba/Sam Shropshire (NWU) 8-2
3. Fedor Baev/Strong Kirchheimer (NWU) def. Tom Blacwell/Scott Elsass (NU) 8-6
Order of finish (2, 3, 1)