Life Skills Year in Review
Life Skills 2016-2017 Year in Review
The Nebraska Life Skills program strives to provide an unmatched experience for current and alumni student-athletes. Five professional staff members work individually with current student-athletes while coordinating a wide range of events to enrich the college experience fostering a lifelong connection to the University of Nebraska. The Life Skills staff of Keith Zimmer, Stacey Burling, Ashley Stone, Kayla Conrad and Jordan Wilson continue to oversee the N Club proudly serving thousands of alumni Huskers. Lawrence Chatters, for the third consecutive year, served in the role of Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator, courtesy funding from the Big Ten Conference Diversity Grant. Below is a summary of major milestones within the 2016-17 academic year.
Life Skills & Enrichment
- Completed 12.5 hours of proactive Life Skills Education for 183 incoming student-athletes during the fall term.
- Facilitated Financial Education workshop attended by 135 student-athletes.
- Organized “Moving off Campus” seminar for 150 student-athletes from various sports.
- Facilitated four different life skills education sessions during fall football campus including Title IX, Violence Prevention, Responsible Drinking and Life Skills Overview.
- Hosted annual Student-Athlete Career Fair with more than 400 student-athletes in attendance networking with regional companies and graduate programs.
- Coordinated 3rd annual No Filter Service Trip to Nicaraugua with 21 current student-athletes and five staff members attending.
- Critical role in overall planning and production of annual “Night at the Lied,” Student-Athlete Recognition event attended by more than 1,000 guests celebrating success in academics, athletics and life.
- Re-named Hero Leadership Award the Sam Foltz 27 Hero Leadership Award honoring the 27 most dedicated and consistent student-athlete servant leaders in the entire program.
- Facilitated nearly 400 outreach requests impacting more than 25,000 people young and old throughout the state of Nebraska.
- Record 386 Nebraska student-athletes named to the annual Tom Osborne Citizenship Team for completing six service projects or more.
- Record 82 Nebraska Football student-athletes named to the Brook Berringer Citizenship Team.
Post-Eligibility Opportunities (PEO)
- Successfully administered $385,000 to 53 letterwinner graduates as part of innovative, one of a kind, nationally prominent program demonstrating continued commitment to alumni Huskers.
- Program has earned national acclaim from College Athletic Management, USA Today and National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE).
- Facilitate numerous PEO orientations to aid in understanding and use of program.
- Recruitment of and presentations to area employers to further establish placement options.
- Innovative marketing approach and social media campaign to build reputation of program.
- Coordinated annual Weekend of Champions Reunions attended by 175 Husker Alums.
- Centralization and rebuilding of 10,000 member N Club database.
- Fall social event hosted by Women’s Basketball attended by 100 alums.
- Winter N Club Social at “Tumble and Rumble" (Gymnastics and Wrestling) event including speakers, lunch and attendance at competition.
- N Club Advisory Committee monthly meetings with 12 letterwinner representatives and two staff members.
- Coordinated annual service project “Kids Against Hunger” packaging 35,000 food packets distributed worldwide with volunteerism from athletic staff, alums and current student-athletes.
- Hosted N Club Golf outing with over 100 alumni participants from various sports.
- Coordinated two letterwinner induction ceremonies presenting 130 letter jackets to first time letter award recipients.
- Tunnel Walk opportunity proved to all letterwinner alums at last home football game attended by 125 alums.
- Quarterly N Club Newsletter celebration history of Nebraska Athletics and promotion of upcoming events.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Organized 2nd annual Diversity and Inclusion Summit attended by nearly 1,000 student-athletes and staff featuring presentations from Dr. Richard Lapchick, Nevin Caple and Husker international student-athlete Reka Czuth.
- Facilitation of Black History month panel.
- Facilitation of Women Leadership panel.
- Hosted Big Ten Advisory Commission Conference on April 25th and 26th.
- Hosted campus-wide Diversity forum titled “Our Nebraska Stories,” featuring Head Nebraska FB Coach Mike Riley.
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and Inner Circle
- Facilitated fourteen SAAC meetings ensuring student-athlete voice and welfare.
- Connections between SAAC members and senior administrators, faculty and conference representatives.
- Continued growth and success of Inner Circle Leadership group featuring seven meetings all related to professional and personal development. Nearly 45 student-athlete members from 22 Husker teams were selected for membership to the group.