Huskers to Play 23 Home Games in 2017
Lincoln – Head Coach Darin Erstad released Nebraska’s 2017 baseball schedule on Tuesday afternoon. The 55-game schedule opens on Friday, Feb. 17, with a trip to Tempe, Ariz., where the Huskers will play four games against the UC Riverside Highlanders at Tempe Diablo Stadium, the Spring Training home of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Following 11 games on the road to start the season, the Huskers host Northern Colorado for the 2017 home opener at Hawks Field on Tuesday, March 7.
The full 2017 schedule can be found here – http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=33&SPSID=103
Notes about the 2017 Schedule
* 23 home games, 21 road games, 11 neutral site games
* By month the Huskers are scheduled to play: February (8 games), March (18 games), April (19 games), May (10 games)
* Two scheduled doubleheaders
- UC Riverside (Saturday, Feb. 18)
- Cal Poly (Saturday, March 25)
* 13 games against 2016 NCAA Tournament teams
- 3 vs. Western Carolina
- 3 at Minnesota
- 3 at Ohio State
- 2 vs. Utah (Surprise Tournament)
- 1 vs. Oklahoma State (Frisco College Classic)
- 1 vs. Arizona (Frisco College Classic)
* Rematch with Western Carolina
- The Catamounts eliminated the Huskers from the 2016 NCAA Tournament in the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Western Carolina will travel to Lincoln for a three game series that opens on Friday, March 10. The last time the Huskers hosted a team that knocked them out of the NCAA Tournament the previous season was 2015, when NU split a pair of midweek games with Cal State Fullerton at Hawks Field after the Titans eliminated the Huskers from the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
* Two games against 2016 College World Series teams
- Nebraska will play 2016 NCAA runner-up Arizona and 2016 CWS qualifier Oklahoma State at the Frisco College Baseball Classic in Frisco, Texas. The Huskers and Cowboys also met in the opening round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament, while the Huskers and Wildcats met early in the 2016 season at the Tony Gwynn Classic in San Diego, Calif.
* For the sixth time since 2010, the Huskers will play at least one game against a team that played in the College World Series the previous season
- 2017: NU plays both Oklahoma State and Arizona
- 2015: NU swept Texas at Hawks Field a year after the Longhorns lost in the 2014 semifinals to eventual national champion Vanderbilt
- 2014: NU split a pair of neutral site games with Oregon State after the Beavers were a win away from the 2013 CWS championship series
- 2013: NU swept a doubleheader from Arkansas after the Razorbacks were a win away from the 2012 CWS championship series
- 2012: NU and California split a four-game series in Lincoln. The Bears went 1-2 at the 2011 CWS
- 2011: NU took 2-of-3 from UCLA in Lincoln after the Bruins fell to South Carolina in the 2010 CWS championship series
* Nebraska will play eight Big Ten Conference series (4 home/4 road)
- Home series: Maryland, Iowa, Rutgers, Michigan State
- Road series: Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State
- NU opens league play at Indiana on Friday, March 31. It’s the second straight year NU has opened league play in the state of Indiana, as it started Big Ten play at Purdue last season.
- NU’s Big Ten home opener is slated for Friday, April 7 against Maryland. The Terps will be making their first trip to Hawks Field.
- NU played at Rutgers for the first time during conference play last season and the Scarlet Knights will travel to Hawks Field for the first time this season.
- NU ends the season at Penn State, where they have never played a conference series at.
* Two home non-conference weekend series
- The Huskers have home non-conference weekend series against Western Carolina and College of Charleston
- NU also plays home midweek games against Northern Colorado, Kansas State, Creighton and UNO
* Nebraska’s longest homestand will be eight games, lasting from March 7-19. Nebraska will not play more than three home games in a row the rest of the season.
* Nebraska will play in the inaugural Frisco College Baseball Classic at Dr. Pepper Stadium in Frisco, Texas
- Nebraska is set to play Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Arizona
- The four teams have combined for 9,300 wins, over 700 MLB Draft Picks and 46 College World Series appearances
* The Huskers will spend Spring Break in California, with games against Cal State Bakersfield and Cal Poly
- The Huskers will play at Cal State Bakersfield on Tuesday, March 21, and then will play four games against Cal Poly starting on Thursday, March 23. The Huskers and are 6-0 all-time against the Mustangs.