Huskers Winning Streak Ends at Arizona
Tucson, Ariz. -- The Nebraska men's tennis six game winning streak comes to an end with the team losing their first of the season to Arizona 5-2. The Huskers are now 6-1 on the season.
In doubles play, in the No. 3 position, freshman duo Isaac Nortey and William Grattan-Smith lose to Jonas Maier and Alejandro Reguant 6-3. Micah Klousia and Dylan Bednarczyk defeated Trent Botha and Filip Malbasic 6-2. In the No. 1 position, Linus Erhart and Toby Boyer were defeated by Igor Karpovets and Carlos Hassey 6-4 for the Wildcats to take the doubles point. This is the first doubles point the Huskers have lost all season.
In singles play, Jonas Maier defeated Klousia in the No. 4 position 6-2, 6-2. Nortey was beaten by Malbasic 6-2, 6-1. Boyer came out on top against Karpovets 6-1, 6-3. Chris Dean was defeated by Reguant in the No. 6 position 6-2, 6-2. Erhart also defeated his opponent Aaro Pollanen 6-4, 7-6 (9). Finally, after two hard fought matches Bednarczyk was defeated by Botha 7-5, 7-5.
The Huskers remain on the road for a match against Northern Arizona Sunday, February 18 at 11 a.m. They will return home Saturday, March 3 against Northern Illinois.
1. Karpovets/ Hassey (ARIZ) def. Boyer/ Erhart (NEB) 6-4
2. Bednarczyk/ Klousia (NEB) def. Botha/ Malbasic (ARIZ) 6-2
3. Maier/ Reguant (ARIZ) def. Nortey/ Grattan-Smith (NEB) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Toby Boyer (NEB) def. Igor Karpovets (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-3
2. Trent Botha (ARIZ) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 7-5, 7-5
3. Linus Erhart (NEB) def. Aaro Pollanen (ARIZ) 6-4, 7-6 (9)
4. Jonas Maier (ARIZ) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-2, 6-2
5. Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. Isaac Nortey (NEB) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,5,1,6,3,2