No. 42 Huskers Best Cyclones, 4-0
Lincoln, Neb. -- The No. 42 Nebraska women's tennis team (9-2) continued its nine match winning streak on Sunday with a 4-0 clinched victory over Iowa State.
Doubles action kicked off for the Huskers promptly at 11 a.m. with veteran doubles duos on courts 1 through 3.
Sophomores Claire Reifeis and Hayley Haakenstad pushed to an early lead over Cyclone opponents Erin Freeman and Annabella Bonadonna. The pair was first to finish for the Huskers, posting a 6-2 final score at the No.2 doubles position. This win advances Reifeis and Haakenstad to a 6-2 overall record as a pair for regular season.
Despite falling behind early on, No.3 doubles battled to keep their undeafted doubles record alive. Katerina Matysova and Vasanti Shinde provided the Big Red with a second doubles win and the team point after their 7-5 victory over Iowa State's Ekaterina Repina and Margarita Timakova. Matysova and Shinde will defend a 9-0 regular season doubles record moving forward into next weekend's matches.
No. 1 doubles duo Brianna Lashway and Paula Del Cueto Castillo were last to secure win on the morning. Closing out doubles action for Nebraska, Lashway and Del Cueto Castillo swung through competitive action to take home their own 7-5 win.
Matysova continued the positive momentum for the Huskers with a striking two-set match against Timakova. The senior quickly put down a 6-1, 6-1 final score at the No. 5 singles position, bringing Nebraska to a 2-0 lead on the day versus Iowa State. With the win, Matysova advances to an 8-1 regular season singles record, posting five of those wins at the No.5 singles spot.
Nebraska gained another team point after Reifeis defeated Freeman. The sophomore made quick work of the match, finishing with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph at the No. 3 singles position. Reifeis leads the Huskers with nine singles victories for the spring.
Del Cueto Castillo provided a three-set clinch for the Big Red, coming in clutch at the No. 4 sinlges position with a hard fought win over Repina of Iowa State. The junior picked up a 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 final decision to propel Nebraska to the 4-0 team victory.
The Huskers will be back in action next weekend to finish out their homestand at the Dillon Tennis Center with duals Friday against UMKC (5 p.m.) and Sunday versus Illinois State (11 a.m.).
Fans can stay up to date with Nebraska women’s tennis by following the team on Twitter @HuskersWTennis or by visiting Huskers.com for recaps and results following the matches.
1. Brianna Lashway (NEB) vs. Maty Cancini (IST) 4-6, 6-0, 2-1, unfinished
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) vs. Regina Espindola (IST) 7-5, 4-4, unfinished
3. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Erin Freeman (IST) 6-2, 6-1
4. Paula Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) def. Ekaterina Repina (IST) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
5. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Margarita Timakova (IST) 6-1, 6-1
6. M'Balia Bangoura (NEB) vs. Annabella Bondonna (IST) 6-7, 4-1, unfinished
1. P.Del Cueto Castillo/Brianna Lashway (NEB) def. Maty Cancini/Regina Espindola (IST) 7-5
2. Claire Reifeis/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Erin Freeman/Annabella Bondonna (IST) 6-2
3. Katerina Matysova/Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Ekaterina Repina/Margarita Timakova (IST) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,4)