Huskers Fall to Shockers
Wichita, Kan. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team fell to 9-2 after dropping a match to Wichita State 4-1.
In doubles play, in the No. 1 position, Linus Erhart and Toby Boyer defeated Murkel Dellien and Marius Frosa 6-3. William Grattan-Smith and Micah Klousia were defeated by Andrea Caligiana and Miroslav Herzan 7-6 (9-7). Dylan Bednarczyk and Chris Dean fell to Eddie Stoica and Haru Inoue in the No. 3 position 6-3.
In singles play, Erhart in the No. 3 position was the sole winner for the Huskers, remaining undefeated on the season, defeating Miroslav Herzan 6-1, 6-1. Dellien bested Grattan Smith in the No. 4 position 6-4, 6-4. Stoica defeated Klousia 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 5 position. Andrea Caligiana sealed the win for the Shockers, defeating Dean 6-4, 6-3. The rest of the matches went unfinished.
"Tough loss today to a good Wichita State team that played a little stronger in the bottom of the line up in singles," McDermott said. "Our #1 doubles team pulled off another ranked win over a team that was ranked #76 in the country and they continue to keep improving. We lost a tough match at #2 doubles for the deciding point to clinch the doubles but I love our fight and we battled hard in singles! Tomorrow we have another tough match with Nee Mexico so we need to rebound and pick it up and be ready to compete."
The Huskers play Saturday, March 10 in a neutral site match against New Mexico. The team then returns home Saturday, March 17 for their Big Ten opener against Wisconsin at 10 a.m. at the Dillion Tennis Center.
- Linus Erhart/Toby Boyer (NEB) def. #76 Murkel Dellien/Marius Frosa (WSU) 6-3
- Andrea Caligiana/Miroslav Herzan (WSU) def. W. Grattan Smith/Micah Klousia (NEB) 7-6 (9-7)
- Eddie Stoica/Haru Inoue (WSU) def. Dylan Bednarczyk/Chris Dean (NEB) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
- Haru Inoue (WSU) vs. Toby Boyer (NEB) 6-7 (2-7), 3-4, unfinished
- Marius Frosa (WSU) vs. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 7-6, 3-2, unfinished
- Linus Erhart (NEB) def. Miroslav Herzan (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Murkel Dellien (WSU) def. W. Grattan Smith (NEB) 6-4, 6-4
- Eddie Stoica (WSU) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-4, 6-2
- Andrea Caligiana (WSU) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,5,4,6