Huskers, Bears Set for Midweek Pair of Games
Northern Colorado (10-5) at Nebraska (9-6)
March 13-14, 2018
Hawks Field at Haymarket Park - Lincoln, Neb.
Tuesday, March 13 • 1:35 p.m. (CT)
Video Stream: BTN Plus • Radio: HSN
Matt Waldron (1-1) vs. Keenan Lum (2-1)
Wednesday, March 14 • 1:35 p.m. (CT)
Video Stream: BTN Plus • Radio: HSN
Mike Waldron (0-1) vs. TBA
The Nebraska baseball team (9-6) continues its nine-game homestand this week with two midweek games against Northern Colorado at Hawks Field. The Huskers and Bears square off Tuesday at 1:35 p.m. (CT) and Wednesday at 1:35 p.m. Nebraska is hosting Northern Colorado for the 15th consecutive season, dating back to 2004.
The first 300 fans to both games will receive $1 hot dog vouchers, redeemable at concessions. Single-game tickets can be purchased at Huskers.com/tickets.
How to Listen/Watch the Huskers
Fans can listen to Greg Sharpe and Nick Handley call the action on the Husker Sports Network. Every game this season can be heard on Huskers.com and the Official Nebraska Huskers App for both iOS and android devices.
Both games will be carried on TuneIn.com and the TuneIn App on the Husker IMG Sports Network channel. Fans in Lincoln can listen on 1400 AM and fans in Omaha can listen on 590 AM.
Both games will be streamed live online on BTN Plus. Subscriptions for BTN Plus are available on a monthly or annual basis. A school pass subscription is $79.95 for one year and $9.95 for one month. A conference pass subscription is $119.95 for one year and $14.95 for one month.
Last Time Out
The Huskers won three of four against Cal Poly during their first home weekend of the season. After dropping the opener by a 14-8 margin, NU responded with a 4-0 win in the second game on Friday before sweeping a Saturday doubleheader by scores of 22-3 and 13-2.
The Huskers host Northwestern State for a three-game series this weekend. Friday’s series opener is set for 4:05 p.m., Saturday will begin at 2:05 p.m., and Sunday’s finale will start at 11:05 a.m.
- Scott Schreiber is the only Husker to reach base in all 15 games this season.
- Nebraska is 14-0-1 in its last 15 Sunday games, dating back to May 15, 2016.
» Is 3-0 on Sunday this season
» Went 10-0-1 on Sundays last season with a tie against Indiana on April 2
» Won their final Sunday game of the 2016 season on May 15
Scouting the Northern Colorado Bears
- Nebraska leads the all-time series against Northern Colorado, 45-6, dating back to the first meeting between the schools in 1986. The Bears have traveled to Lincoln every year since 2004. NU is 39-5 against the Bears in Lincoln, 3-1 on the road and 3-0 at a neutral site.
- Northern Colorado is 10-5 this season and enters the week on a five-game winning streak, which includes a four-game sweep of South Dakota State. The quartet of games against the Jackrabbits was part of an 11-game homestand for the Bears. UNC went 2-2 against North Dakota State and 2-1 against Montana State Billings. The Bears opened the season with a 2-2 split at San Jose State.
- Northern Colorado ranks eighth nationally in on-base percentage as a team (.428) and 24th nationally in scoring with 7.9 runs per game.
- Head Coach Carl Iwasaki is in his eighth season at Northern Colorado and holds a record of 160-233 at the school. He is 263-373 in his 14th season overall as a head coach. Iwasaki is assisted by R.D. Spiehs, Nate Rasmussen and Jake Ek.
- Players to Watch
» #5 Tyler Yamaguchi (Junior INF): Team-high .365 batting average with team-high 16 runs scored and ranks second on the team with 14 RBIs
» #32 Brett Minnick (Senior INF/RHP): Team-high three home runs to go along with three doubles and one triple
» #40 Dean Lawson (Senior INF): Batting .341 with team-high five doubles
Alvarado Named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week
- Luis Alvarado earned Big Ten Pitcher-of-the-Week honors on Monday, March 12.
- Alvarado threw 7.0 scoreless innings to earn the win against Cal Poly on Friday, March 9. He allowed only five hits and one walk, while striking out eight Mustangs, one shy of his career high.
- Alvarado has 28 strikeouts this season, which ranks second in the Big Ten, behind Indiana’s Jonathan Stiever (32). Alvarado is 1-1 with a 2.70 ERA in four starts this season.