Huskers Slam Scarlet Knights, 5-2
Lincoln, Neb. – The No. 38 Nebraska women’s tennis team started its weekend of matches on a strong note Friday with a 5-2 defeat of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.
The match in New Brunswick, N. J., began with doubles competition, wherein the Huskers dominated play to grab the first point of the day.
In singles play, the Big Red kept up the pace and collected first set wins on all six courts. Although Scarlet Knights Maya Jacobs and Isabelle Da Silva came back on courts 5 and 6 to snag two wins for Rutgers, the Huskers’ dominating forces on four other courts secured the victory for Nebraska.
First to collect a singles win was Shinde from the No. 3 spot as she took down Muzik, 6-1, 6-2.
The second singles victory came from Lashway at the No. 1 spot in her 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Du.
Sophomore Claire Reifeis caught Nebraska’s third singles win and match-winning point as she triumphed over Lee on court 2, 6-4, 6-0, and Del Cueto Castillo added the fifth point to the Huskers’ total in her victory over Jaci Cochrane, 6-3, 6-4.
The Big Red’s win brings Nebraska’s record to 15-5 (4-3 B1G) as it heads into more Big Ten play on Sunday at Maryland (7-9, 1-4 B1G). The match will begin at 9:30 a.m. CT in College Park.
Fans can stay up to date with Nebraska women’s tennis by following the team on Twitter at @HuskersWTennis, or by visiting Huskers.com for recaps and results following the matches.
1. Brianna Lashway (NEB) def. Du, Mingxiu (RU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Lee, Chloe (RU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Muzik, Kat (RU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Paula Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) def. Cochrane, Jaci (RU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jacobs, Maya (RU) def. Katerina Matysova (NEB) 2-6, 7-6 (4-0), 10-7
6. Da Silva, Isabelle (RU) def. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
1. Brianna Lashway/Paula Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) def. Du, Mingxiu/Muzik, Kat (RU) 6-2
2. Cochrane, Jaci/Jacobs, Maya (RU) vs. Claire Reifeis/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) 3-4, unfinished
3. Katerina Matysova/Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Lee, Chloe/Levy, Lee (RU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)