Huskers Split Day in Ohio
Columbus, Ohio -- The Nebraska men's tennis team split two matches between Ohio State and Dayton. The Huskers fell to the No. 3 Buckeyes 7-0 and defeated the Flyers 4-2 and now has an overall record of 10-10 and 0-7 in conference play.
Against Ohio State, in doubles play, William Grattan-Smith and Micah Klousia was defeated by Hunter Tubert and Matt Mendez 6-1. Dylan Bednarczyk and Chris Dean fell to Riley Reist and Mikael Torpegaard in the No. 2 spot 6-2. The duo of No. 81 Toby Boyer and Linus Erhart went unifinished.
In singles play, Boyer was defeated by No. 3 Torpengaard 6-2, 6-1. In the No. 2 position, Bednarcyk fell to No. 43 JJ Wolf 6-1, 6-3. Klousia was bested by Martin Joyce in the No. 4 position 6-2, 6-2. Grattan-Smith was defeated by Alex Kobelt in the No. 6 position 7-5, 6-0. Isaac Nortey fell to No. 71 Kyle Seelig 6-1, 6-2. Erhart was defeated by Tim Seibert 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 3 position.
Against Dayton, in doubles play, Bednarczyk and Dean bested Theo Jener and Jordan Benjamin 6-4 in the No. 2 position. No. 81 Boyer and Erhart was defeated by Carsten Fisher and Zach Berry 6-2 in the No. 1 position. Grattan-Smith and Klousia sealed the doubles point for the Huskers with a 7-6 (7-1) win over Steven Karl and Lorenzo Rollenhauser.
In singles play, Bednarczyk was defeated by Fisher 7-6, 6-3. Erhart was victorious over Berry 6-3, 2-6, 6-1. Klousia defeated Jener 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 4 spot. Dean was beaten by Simon Jayaram 6-4, 6-4. Grattan-Smith defeated Karl 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 5 position. Boyer's match against Benjamin went unfinished.
The Huskers will be back in action Friday, April 13 as they continue Big Ten play with a home match against Purdue at the Dillon Tennis Center at 4 p.m. (Central) and then a match against Indiana on Sunday, April 15 at home at Noon (Central). The Big Red will conclude their 2018 home matches with a match against Drake on Wednesday, April 18 at 4 p.m. (Central). Admission to all home matches is free.
Ohio State Doubles Results:
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. #81 Linus Erhart/Toby Boyer (NEB) 4-4, unfinished
2. Riley Reist/Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Dylan Bednarczyk/Chris Dean (NEB) 6-2
3. Hunter Tubert/Matt Mendez (OSU) def. William GrattanSmith/Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,2
Ohio State Singles Results:
- #3 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Toby Boyer (NEB) 6-2, 6-1
- #43 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 6-1, 6-3
- Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Linus Erhart (NEB) 6-1, 6-4
- #123 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-2, 6-2
- #71 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Isaac Nortey (NEB) 6-1, 6-2
- Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. William GrattanSmith (NEB) 7-5, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1,2,4,6,5,3
Dayton Doubles Results:
1. Carsten Fisher/Zach Berry (DU) def. #81 Toby Boyer/Linus Erhart (NU) 6-2
2. Chris Dean/Dylan Bednarczyk (NU) def. Theo Jener/Jordan Benjamin (DU) 6-4
3. Micah Klousia/William GrattanSmith (NU) def. Steven Karl/Lorenzo Rollenhauser (DU) 7-6 (7-1)
Dayton Singles Results:
1. Jordan Benjamin (DU) vs. Toby Boyer (NU) unfinished
2. Carsten Fisher (DU) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Linus Erhart (NU) def. Zach Berry (DU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
4. Micah Klousia (NU) def. Theo Jener (DU) 6-3, 6-2
5. William GrattanSmith (NU) def. Steven Karl (DU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Simon Jayaram (DU) def. Chris Dean (NU) 6-4, 6-4