Boilermakers Beat Huskers, 5-2
Lincoln, Neb. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team was defeated by Purdue 5-2 at the Dillon Tennis Center. The 10-11 Huskers fall to 0-8 in Big Ten play with one conference match remaining before the Big Ten Tournament.
In doubles play, freshmen duo Isaac Nortey and William Grattan-Smith were defeated by Gergely Madarasz and Renan Hanayama 6-4 in the No. 3 spot. Micah Klousia and Dylan Bednarczyk were the next to fall to Athell Bennett and Maksymillian Raupuk in the No. 2 position 6-4. Toby Boyer and Linus Erhart went unfinished in their match.
In singles play, Bednarczyk made quick work of his opponent, defeating Stephan Koeningsfest 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 3 position. Grattan-Smith fell to Bennett in the No. 5 position 6-2, 6-2. Klousia was defeated by Mateo Julio in the No. 4 spot 6-1, 6-4. Erhart was bested by Raupuk 6-3, 6-3. Boyer fought hard but ultimately fell short against Madarasz losing 6-4, 3-6, 12-10 in the No. 1 position. Chris Dean in the No. 6 position defeated Javier Rodriguez 3-6, 6-3, 10-8.
The Huskers will finish home Big Ten play with a match against Indiana on Sunday, April 15 beginning at Noon (Central). The Big Red will then finish their 2018 home matches against Drake on Wednesday, April 18 beginning at 4 p.m. (Central). Nebraska will hit the road to conclude the season with a trip to Michigan to take on Michigan State and Michigan.
1. Boyer/ Erhart (NEB) vs. Julio/ Sochurek (PU) Unfinished
2. Bennett/ Raupuk (PU) def. Klousia/ Bednarczyk (NEB) 6-4
3. Madarase/ Hanayama (PU) def. Nortey/ Grattan-Smith (NEB) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,2
1. Gergely Madarasz (PU) def. Toby Boyer (NEB) 6-4, 3-6, 12-10
2. Maksymillian Raupuk (PU) def. Linus Erhart (NEB) 6-3, 6-3
3. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) def. Stephan Koeningsfest (PU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Mateo Julio (PU) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-1, 6-4
5. Athell Bennett (PU) def. William Grattan-Smith (NEB) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chris Dean (NEB) def. Javier Rodriguez (PU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
Order of Finish: 3,5,4,2,1